• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer sticking at 35 mph

Zagill

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, first time posting here so feel free to berate me for any mistakes.

I bought my second Cherokee (1994/4.0/AX-15) a couple months back and quickly found out that the speedometer has a bad habit of jumping to 35 MPH and sticking there, and only moves to the *actual* speed when given a hard tap. Of course, it's now becoming even more stubborn as the weather gets colder which makes me slightly concerned.

Strangely, the odometer and tachometer are completely unaffected, so I feel as though this is an issue with the speedometer itself rather than a sensor or other component. I took the dash a part a while back and tried spraying some electronics cleaner all up in there, but it didn't seem to help anything. If I didn't daily this thing I'd have tried some potentially more... destructive measures to tear it down further, but I figured a janky speedometer was better than none.

Anyone know a good starting point for fixing this, or if it's fixable at all? Like I said, it's getting worse, I might not make it through the winter. Send help.

Side note I also seemed to screw up my temp and oil pressure gauges by moving the needles manually, but they're only reading off by a little bit so I'm not too worried.

Thanks in advance!

Back