• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter or aw4 problem?

Tonybeirut

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys so my aw4 doesn't shift when its cold, it stays in 1st gear until it warms up. I must warm the engine 5 minutes before driving getting it to operating temp otherwise the transmission won't shift normally.

When cruising on highway (around 70 kmph) and when I press the brake pedal the RPM won't jump 500 means the torque converter not working. I even have the rad design shifter with the torque converter manual switch, this one not working as well, the tc not locking / unlocking when I engage it manually.

I have the brake switch problem by the way, my brakes are always on until I sticked a coin on the pedal upper arm to make the brake lights go off.

Any tests that I should do to narrow the problem?

Thanks

You're either got an issue with the Rad shifter or the wiring, or one or more bad solenoids. Time to dig out your multimeter and start checking resistance of the solenoids.

You're either got an issue with the Rad shifter or the wiring, or one or more bad solenoids. Time to dig out your multimeter and start checking resistance of the solenoids.

Solenoids of the tcm? Under the dash passenger side or the harness under the hood? How many volts/ohm it should be?

I remember having this problem with a fresh rebuilt AW4 once, turned out the front two bolts on the valve body were not torqued and vibrated out. When the trans got hot, the valve body would pull away a little and fluid would leak out through the crack instead of driving the circuits. If I kept the trans temp below 190 it worked fine. Pulled the pan later to inspect and found the bolts laying loose.

Back