• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Next upgrade?

Alpine Jim

NAXJA Forum User
like to keep my '99 XJ in well-maintained condition, and add upgrades now and then, like most of us do. At the moment I have maybe $200-ish do 'the next thing'.

Right now I am pretty close to stock but have added a 2 inch lift, front tow hooks, stock skid plates, and a tow hitch. I carry the basic emergency items when off-road (tow strap, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, basic tools, etc). Most of the four-wheeling I do is on the easy, exploring end rather than anything close to hardcore, up to 5 or 6 of 10. Both because the rig is not ready for more and I just prefer that kind of activity.

Help me decide what’s next. Here are my top thoughts. Most of them are things that are :

1- New spare tire. I think the one I have is the original (Goodyear SRA i think?, in P225/75/15; code is 039) and never on the ground so basically 19 years old, but no cracking or obvious issues – it holds air at least, but I have never tested it while driving. Currently riding on pretty new BFG AT in LT235/75/15, no plans to go larger in the near future. I would add the same tire in the same size but it would be the newer version s I cannot find any used tires in the last generation BFG AT. How likely is it the existing spare would conk out if I were to have to use it, esp on 4x4 terrain??

2-CB radio

3-Aftermarket tranny cooler for the AW4. I only tow once a year, a 4'x6' trailer to elk camp.

5-Rocker skids or sliders.

4-On-board air

What do you think? Maybe there is something else I haven't thought of yet.

1) Grab a newer used tire from the junkyard or the locally owned independent tire shop. $20-50
2) Good used garage sale/eBay CB's are not expensive. $10-50
3) All auto trans Cherokees should have a trans cooler. While at the junkyard grab a stock XJ Cherokee trans cooler and all the lines. $5-15
4) Build your own rock sliders. I spent about $50 for all the necessary steel. If you don't have or can't borrow a welder, barter for the welding, or stop by the local VoTech.
5) All you really need is an inexpensive 12 volt compressor. They are slow but will fill the tires. Air tools are handy and faster, but not required. $40-80

Your next $200+ should go towards a new or gently used locking differential.

Last edited:
I'm kind of in the same boat with my '91. It's in great shape and I want to keep it that way. Here's what Id recommend:

Maintenance
Save towards sheepskin seat covers if you want to protect your seats
Floor liners
Electric air compressor
Get your dents pulled
Upgrade speakers
Save for 31's

I cant agree with Good maintenance enough if your wanting to hang onto this rig. upgrades are great,IF your vehicle is healthy first.

Then a locking Diff is a GREAT upgrade, so is somethings as easy as floor mats. CB's are cheap, youll want the antenna tuned if you get one.

I would also suggest saving for a Winch. Nothing fancy, but having one is a good addition for any jeep.

:D

I would work on getting a matching tire/wheel. I always buy 5 tires so I can rotate them, pays off in the long run!

- If the spare holds air I wouldn't think about replacing it. It will work for what you need as in getting a replacement tire or the other one fixed.
- I have a CB radio sitting in my garage I'd like to get rid of if you want it PM me.
- not a bad idea but unless it's getting super hot all the time I would do it sometime but not on the immediate list
- I recommend rock skids as first mods to anyone. Even out driving around on snowy trails there is always that one time your rig tries to slide into a stump.
- Depends how far you air down to. On my 00 I will drop the pressure to 20-15 without worrying about airing back up until I get home. But make sure I don't go over 45 or stop and check the tire temps. Lower and I'll air back up.

So of your list I would lean towards the rock rails.

Lockers are nice but you can do a ton without them. And usually want to do lockers when you do gears for bigger tires. I'm guessing it would be tough to get a lunchbox and installed for a couple hundred if you pay someone to do the install.

Lots of good ideas and thoughts here - thanks! Seems like none stand out as the obvious next step.

I already have nice formed rubber floor liners and don’t have any dents so I don't need to worry about those.

Also, I forgot to add fog lights as a possibility. For driving in snowstorms rather than fog, mostly. Unless there are better ways to deal with that?

Weasel - thanks for the offer. My son passes through Rapid regularly so will send a PM.

The first two upgrades I made were a Banks stainless cat back exhaust system and a Tomken Machine brush guard along with a new stock front bumper and caps.

I have moved on to a new 3" lift and a bunch of new parts after that to go on once I finish rust repair.

3) All auto trans Cherokees should have a trans cooler. While at the junkyard grab a stock XJ Cherokee trans cooler and all the lines. $5-15

Your next $200+ should go towards a new or gently used locking differential.

Regarding the point about a transmission cooler - I heartily agree. If you can't find one out of an XJ, grab one out of an Explorer. That's where mine came from.

Also, regarding the diff locks, watching videos of myself pre and post lockers and just the feeling in the seat of the capabilites with and without, again, I heartily agree. I got an Aussie in the front and a Spartan in the rear. Fairly cheap to purchase and very easy to install.

I agree a locker , If you can only do one at a time do the rear 1st and you we see a big difference when off road , I just have a a stock posi rear end and on most trails I'm in 2wd when my body needs 4wd , it does make a big difference .

I agree a locker , If you can only do one at a time do the rear 1st and you we see a big difference when off road , I just have a a stock posi rear end and on most trails I'm in 2wd when my body needs 4wd , it does make a big difference .

I started with the front and noticed a huge difference. When I put the rear in a year later I got a little more performance, but not as much as I was expecting.

Since the majority of the vehicle weight transfers to the rear axle when going up an incline or an obstacle, leaving the front tires with very little traction, a rear locker as the first locker or the only locker, makes the most sense.

I know this point gets argued back and forth infinitum, but from the Lokka website:
A front fitment will actually yield the greatest improvement in off road ability. This is because, most vehicles require the increase in traction (that a locker gives) when hill climbing. Under hill climbing conditions, due to the angle of the vehicle, the rear wheels are carrying a much greater weight (weight transfer) and the front wheels are therefore carrying a lessor weight and tend to break traction more easily.
Once one front wheel starts to spin, the other front wheel stops turning and the front differential ceases to provide traction. At this point all power load is transferred onto the rear wheels as if it were a 2x4 and due to this increased load, the rear wheels are encouraged to spin and the vehicle stops.
If you can solve the problem of the front wheels losing traction, you have solved the traction problem.
Another advantage is that on road there are no changes to normal driving characteristics – assuming it has Free Wheel Hubs or a Disconnect Mechanism,

meh. Start with the rear. Locking the front binds the steering and adds alot of stress on the the front end when locked. Also tough to drive down the road with the front end locked.

Even better is forget the locker and spend your funds on something that will work for what you do. You get into doing more rocks then think about a locker.

While not apple to apples, I installed a locker in the front axle of my CJ-7, and a rear locker in my XJ a few years later. I prefer a rear locker, on the 4x4 trails, and especially if the 4x4 is driven in winter weather on pavement. Also look at what has been available factory installed in Chrysler, Jeep, Ford, and GM 4x4's, rear axle Limited Slip.

Yeah, another agree on the rear locker, just from the stand point that you do more exploring and adventuring than anything. Front locker doesn't do much but put more stress on your steering components for the most part. Unless you're in deep mud or such...

lock rear first, if you do. but doesn't sound like a locker should be next based on wheeling style.

if you wheel in group: CB
OBA is cheap and easy.
Need a tire repair kit
recovery gear is adequate, but could be improved.

What do you do with it?
camping/overlanding? day trips on forest roads? grocery getter?
wheel alone? small/large group?
sounds like you hunt with it, a gun rack in the back would be sweet. so would food prep equipment. on board water (shower) would be cool as well, if you do extended hunts.

build for your purpose

So – good insight and questions here. Most of this is all just food for thought anyway and the exact order I do these things really won’t make much difference. Probably some of it will come down to when/where I find a good deal on various pieces of good, used equipment.
Looks like I am getting the CB from Weasel, so will get that covered. And I am going to get the matching spare tire and add a tranny cooler.
Here is my follow up question, and it regards rocker protection choices: since I am on only a 2 inch lift and probably will be there for a while or even permanently, I feel the dilemma is this: should I go for the frame and pinch seam mounted style (it seems most would say these are stronger, and most of them do seem cheaper) but the kicker being I would have to give up some of what little clearance I do have.
or should I go for an option which maximizes the clearance but maybe is not quite so strong (and some offer no hi-lift point). Meaning something like this
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12057_8200_07.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzoiXnIDK3QIVl7XACh2OwAIDEAQYAiABEgJRMvD_BwE Or this https://www.quadratec.com/products/12249_751X_PG.htm
There are also these but I am thinking they might be too ‘soft’ even for my needs?
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-exterior-parts-accessories/jeep-rocker-protection/jeep-xj-cherokee/rustys-rocker-sliders-xj-cherokee.html

At 2 inches lift the argument could go either way; I need the strongest because I am more likely to hit, or I need the most clearance since I am so low.
Reality is I am not that likely to be hitting anything, but then the whole point is to be ready for most unexpected events in the name of being prepared.

Back