• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about the front driveshaft

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
I have about 1/2" play.. I can grab the ds and rotate it 1/2" back and forth. I can't do that with the rear. Is there supposed to be that play in front?

The front ds looks original to my 158k. I took it out and I dont get the vibes at 30mph in my steering wheel.. not nearly as bad.. 90% gone and no 'growling' at 65 mph.

So I was going to have it rebuilt and balanced... but about the play.. could I have a bad pinion bearing up front or?

You have no play in the back because the rotational forces of you using it as a brake are taking up the slack.

As far as the front. There is always some lash, and if you have a lunchbox locker up front, the play that would have been in the spiders is now however far it takes to get the locker engaged, which is quite a bit.

Pinion bearings would be IN/OUT or UP/DOWN play, not rotational.

-Ron

You are supposed to re install the drive shaft the same way it came apart, at the yoke. Meaning the same bearing cap in the same slot.

It is possible to get a vibration and after rotating the drive shaft 180 degrees and re installing, the vibration lessens or disappears. My 87 was like that, on my 88 it seems to make no difference.

My 96 has a lot of slop in the front drive shaft splines, never seemed to hurt anything, so I've left it alone. My 96 has a lot of lash and a lot of side play in the splines and manages to balance itself, smooth as silk at any speed.

Early drive shafts, with the front axle disconnect. often weren't balanced at all.

I'd look at the front axle U-joints before I spent the cash on a drive shaft balance. Next I'd check out the front drive shaft rear Carden joint really closely. And at the same time check out the front transfer case output bearings.

To bad we live so far apart, I'd send you a drive shaft or two to try out. I have a major collection of junkyard drive shafts in my shop I've never needed. :)

depends on where the slop is.

are the yokes and pinions rotating with the shaft? That's pretty normal.

are any of the double cardan joints moving in relation to any other double cardan joint bits?
that's not normal and the shaft needs rebuilt.

Based on the info given, it sounds like it's normal rotational play. BUT the jeep rides a lot smoother w/o the front ds. So its either these joints have had it, or possible the output bearing in case could be suspect too?

I think based on the with/without difference of the front shaft, I'm leaning toward it being the culprit. If I have it rebuilt, is balancing necessary?

I'll work out from there. Next could be the axle u-joints as they appear factory too.

unless it's been taken apart before and reassembled incorrectly it won't need rebalanced.

Mark one side of the shaft with paint, when you reassemble make sure it goes back together with all of the yokes/joints aligned just how they were from the factory and it's good.

Based on the info given, it sounds like it's normal rotational play. BUT the jeep rides a lot smoother w/o the front ds. So its either these joints have had it, or possible the output bearing in case could be suspect too?

I think based on the with/without difference of the front shaft, I'm leaning toward it being the culprit. If I have it rebuilt, is balancing necessary?

I'll work out from there. Next could be the axle u-joints as they appear factory too.
It's usually part of the process @ a driveline shop.

Back