• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teraflex 2 low kit?

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
How do these fit within the factory gate box and how do they line up with the factory bezel? I've had a small leak in my transfer case for years that I want to fix so this and maybe a HD chain set-up while I'm in there.

How do these fit within the factory gate box and how do they line up with the factory bezel? I've had a small leak in my transfer case for years that I want to fix so this and maybe a HD chain set-up while I'm in there.

I installed a Tera2Low in my 231 when I rebuilt it a few years ago.

The 2Low position on the factory shift gate is all the way back, where 4Low normally is. 4Low will be found just forward of 2Low.

It takes a bit getting used to, because you can think that you have the t-case in 4Low, but it's actually in 2Low. I really like the 2Low option and use it frequently.

5302956b5ae5de02fc023180.jpg

I have read threads that might suggest a "conflict" with running a 2Lo and a wide chain?

If you'll read the post I copied above it shows it's possible.... I have not yet tried this myself though...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I love my 2Low. Makes for much easier switchback turns with lockers.

I love my 2Low. Makes for much easier switchback turns with lockers.

Tom, how does your shifter line up with the factory markings on the bezel? Are you running a wide chain?

Here is what I read on another forum about that combination........

I got interested via another thread which lead me down a rabbit hole of even to the extent of pulling T cases from certain year Durangos to get the sprocket, chain and 6 planet gear set... I located a potential pull from a local junk yard and then ran across several posts on the issue with the 2low kit.

The 2low kit selector fork is essentially shaved and in 2L is flat up against the "spanner" (I think its called that?)... the bigger main fork... which appears to not work so well with the wider chain sprocket.

So I abandoned that venture and just installed the 2Low kit....

Tom, how does your shifter line up with the factory markings on the bezel?

Look at the shift pattern sticker in the picture above.......with the TeraLow kit installed and the tcase shifted into 4L, the 4wd shift indicator is positioned on the shifter bezel slightly before the factory 4Lo position. 2Lo is positioned sligthly after the factory 4Lo indicator on the bezel.

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on both(Teraflex and JB Conversions). I will figure the rest out when I get them. If I have to machine something I will make it work! It's about the only thing left on my Jeep that hasn't been done already.

Let us know how it turns out. There's a seller on Ebay that has the wide chain for $200, but it uses used parts. I haven't proved jb yet but figure it's way more.

Also since you're going this far I would look into a 6 planet planetary gear as well... I personally don't see a reason to do one without the other.

I looked at all the individual pieces/prices but the JB kit was very reasonable. I already have a 5 gear planetary from the 4:1 kit that was installed 17yrs ago!

Here's the original Teraflex 4:1 front housing pic.......
367200-R1-8A_zpseak7znjz.jpg

Ah I now understand why you didn't mention it haha! How do you like the 4:1? I imagine stopping would be a pain in low at times.

How do you like the 4:1? I imagine stopping would be a pain in low at times.

I'm not sure what your trying to say about brakes? As far as 4:1 goes I love it! It takes the load/temps down. In '05 I bought a N.I.B. NV241OR for my '95 Cheromanche and somewhere around that time we bought a 4.7:1 kit for my sons truck.
FH000015_zpsximeea2s.jpg

FH000016_zpsip7yqmbb.jpg

A NP242 came out, the 241 went in perfectly(besides new driveshafts). I never did anything with the speedo because it was trail rig, but at the time I was looking into the "Dakota" converter.

Back