• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ac conversion on 1991

Leakyforlife

NAXJA Forum User
Want to get AC back in my 1991 xj. It came stock with AC but hasn't had it hooked up for years? Possibly. My question is can I just take all the ac stuff out a 97 and newer with the r134a equipment and direct swap it into my 91. I just don't want to deal with finding the old hoses for the 91. I think the only issue I may run into would be wiring, I understand the newer jeeps had a high and low pressure switch.

Short answer is no unless you include the cooler up front. Check outnickintime in youtube. He did a video on it.

I don't know what year they switched to 134a, but it was before '97. My '96 came with 134a (with an April of '96 build date).

I don't know what year they switched to 134a, but it was before '97. My '96 came with 134a (with an April of '96 build date).

They started the switch 1994. I know because I bought a new '93 and had R12

Want to get AC back in my 1991 xj. It came stock with AC but hasn't had it hooked up for years? Possibly. My question is can I just take all the ac stuff out a 97 and newer with the r134a equipment and direct swap it into my 91. I just don't want to deal with finding the old hoses for the 91. I think the only issue I may run into would be wiring, I understand the newer jeeps had a high and low pressure switch.

I converted my '90 to a '95's system. Took the compressor and hoses out of a junkyard '95 that was in great shape and then bought a new '95 condenser, evaporator, drier and expansion valve. The evaporator required me to do some trimming of the heater box but it will fit. If I had to do it again, I would have used an evaporator from a '90. Works great.

Back