• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 crank no start - chime while cranking

tomcat

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a 2000 XJ, 4.0 auto, 230K miles. I had moved it to the back of my property when we had tree guys coming, and weeks later when I went to start it again, it would not go, it just turns over. since it was on a trail, and I thought it was the CPS, I left it all winter, and pulled the battery and threw it on a tender.

went back and did the CPS (Standard Motor Brand from RockAuto) and I did the TPS and IAC too for good measure (not very good scientific method, I know).

still cranks, no start. when I was cranking it, I noticed that it made the "your keys are in the ignition and the door is open" chime (not the "you just put the keys in but didn't start me yet" chime) when I stop cranking it, the chime stops. my 99 doesn't chime at all when cranking.

no CEL at all. don't know how to check spark on a coil-on-rail system

any ideas? any information needed?

When you first turn the ignition key, but before you start to crank the engine; listen for the fuel pump to run for 5-10 seconds while pressurizing the fuel injection rail. If not... then you need to trouble shoot the fuel pump relay, automatic shut down relay and move on to the verifying where the circuits are not energized that should be.
If you have other questions; post them up and I will try to help.

Do you have a Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS)?

If your ignition key has an oval shaped grey molded cap on it, you have SKIS.

When you turn the key to RUN, without cranking the engine, do you see a advisory light in the upper left corner of the instrument cluster that is a circle with the image of a key and a diagonal line through it come on then go off (bulb check)? And when you turn the key to crank, does this light come on steady?

Fuel pump runs, and i swapped the asd relay with the elec fan relay, and another good relay, and still no go.

Door chime was because i had the door open (duh)

No sentry key either, normal black key

Still no start.

Here is the coil rail pin out info.

Pin
1 IGNITION COIL NO. 1 DRIVER
2 FUSED AUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN RELAY OUTPUT
3 IGNITION COIL NO. 2 DRIVER

4 IGNITION COIL NO. 3 DRIVER

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the coil rail harness connector.
Connect one end of a 12 volt test light to a good 12 volt source.​

Check the ignition coil driver circuits, with the other end of the test light, while cranking the engine.

Does the test light blink/flicker?
If no, then the PCM is not firing the coil driver circuits... so it may be bad or not getting required input from Crank and Cam Position Sensors.
If yes, then coil rail must be bad if you have no spark.

I have a 2000 XJ, 4.0 auto, 230K miles. I had moved it to the back of my property when we had tree guys coming, and weeks later when I went to start it again, it would not go, it just turns over. since it was on a trail, and I thought it was the CPS, I left it all winter, and pulled the battery and threw it on a tender.

went back and did the CPS (Standard Motor Brand from RockAuto) and I did the TPS and IAC too for good measure (not very good scientific method, I know).

still cranks, no start. when I was cranking it, I noticed that it made the "your keys are in the ignition and the door is open" chime (not the "you just put the keys in but didn't start me yet" chime) when I stop cranking it, the chime stops. my 99 doesn't chime at all when cranking.

no CEL at all. don't know how to check spark on a coil-on-rail system

any ideas? any information needed?

Those aftermarket Crank Sensors fail right out the box sometimes. An OEM/Mopar CPS is highly recommended. You may want to consider putting a Mopar CPS in there.

Cranking with no start (but have fuel pump) is a common sign that the CPS is no good.

Those aftermarket Crank Sensors fail right out the box sometimes. An OEM/Mopar CPS is highly recommended. You may want to consider putting a Mopar CPS in there.

Cranking with no start (but have fuel pump) is a common sign that the CPS is no good.

ordered a mopar unit this morning, we'll see how that goes

Well mopar cps went in, still no start :(

What else 'ya got?

Back