• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 New Fuel pump... gauge floats now

bchulett

NAXJA Member #999
Okay .. about a year ago I had my XJ towed to the dealer because the fuel pressure regulator sprang a major leak. The dealer installed a new o-ring on the injector rail and said it was due to the original fuel pump not pressurizing...

So they installed a new fuel pump... it cost me an arm and a leg.

Well, everything works fine except now my fuel gauge bounces around. When I fill the tank the gauge shows full when I'm stopped, then after I take off the needle moves down to the 7/8 mark, then moves back to full when I stop again.

The needle does this until the tank is closer to empty then appears to stabilize and move slowly down as the XJ consumes the fuel.

Before I had them install this OE fuel pump my XJ never did this...

Was the pump installed correctly?

Joe, need your infinite wisdom here...

Ok, maybe the dealer tech didn't get the rubber snubber on the end of the fuel pump assembly locked into the tank properly and that could allow things to move a bit under acceleration/deceleration. I guess I would pull the pump out and take a look at the assembly, see if you can get it seated better.

You will want the tank a little down on fuel.

Good luck.

Back