• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mix & Match Lockers?

Wolperdinger

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a Lokka in the front of my 91XJ. Love it! I'm going to replace the Dana 35 in the back with a Ford 8.8. Not even sure I need to put a locker back there, but if I did, would another Lokka be a good idea, or something different? I was thinking of an Eaton Detroit Trutrac, but not sure if that's such a good idea.

Depends on what you want. One of the guys around d here runs an auto locker upfront with ls rear and rely likes it. Keep in mind if you get an 8.8 that already has a limited slip lunch box lockers are limited and cost almost as much as a full case locker or ls. Imo the factory limited slip is pretty worthless, I ended up just welding mine.

What are your goals prompting an axle swap ? Are you changing the axle gear ratios at the same time as the axle swap and/or differential install ? What is the budget ?

The Ford 8.8 swap is not the big deal everybody makes it out to be. If you want 4.10's and disk brakes, they are already there, otherwise it is not much better than a Chrysler 8.25. Clutch type Limited Slips are pretty useless.

If you are doing a differential install, then having to cut and weld the spring mounts, and use spacers with the 8.8, you aren't gaining much over an Chry, 8.25, which you can easily swap KJ Liberty disk brakes onto.

If you are not changing the gear ratios, a lunchbox type locker in and Chry 8.25 will be just fine and will save the time and effort to alter the 8.8 spring and shock mounts, and the additional costs of new ring and pinion gears, the differential install kit, and the gear set-up.

My PowerTrax No-Slip behaves and works the same in Minnesota winters as the Limited Slip it replaces, and it works better than the Limited Slip on the 4x4 trails.

Last edited:
Really does depend on your wheeling style and how much street use you plan. For my XJ I'm running a stock limited slip in the 8.25 out back and a selectable locker up front. I just find it to be a very good combo for the street (especially icy roads) and its never hung me up on the trail. I don't do super aggressive rock crawling either, but even the more technical stuff hasn't been an issue with that combo. I also like being able to leave the front open until I need it locked. It makes steering a lot easier.

If you are running a 242 TC and want to ever use full-time 4WD do not use any auto-locker up front. Use a selectable up front or nothing.

I've got a 242 in my '99. I run an Ox locker on the D30 in front and an Eaton Detroit auto-locker on the 8.25 in back. It works great.

Thanks guys. That's some good stuff to think about. I'm already geared at 4.56, so would probably need to regear whatever I get. Transfer case is an NP231. I'd like to have disc brakes, but I guess it's not essential. I was thinking of getting a ready built axle from East Coast Gear Supply. Not the cheapest way to go, but it arrives ready to bolt on. The XJ is not my daily driver, just my fun-buggy. My wheeling style is moderate, with lots of steep rock climbs, mud, tree stumps, etc. I'd love to post a pic, but I guess I don't have enough posts yet!

If you are running a 242 TC and want to ever use full-time 4WD do not use any auto-locker up front. Use a selectable up front or nothing.

I've got a 242 in my '99. I run an Ox locker on the D30 in front and an Eaton Detroit auto-locker on the 8.25 in back. It works great.

Can you please explain more on this?
Thanks

Full-time 4wd is for use on streets and highways. So my response assumes that's where it'll be used. Going around a corner on a city street or accelerating through a turn on a highway you don't want a locker that'll engage in the front axel and cause binding and make steering suddenly difficult. With a selectable this is never going to be an issue.

I'm running a detriot in the d30 and lock right in the c8.25. Zero issues so far.

I have an Aussie up front and a Spartan in the rear - no issues

On post #6 above, Nimrod did specify a 242 AWD(All Wheel Drive).

Driving with the front wheels locked i.e no differential speed between left and right tires and making high speed turns on slick road may cause negative steering issues.

Spartan and Aussie look pretty much identical. Any real difference between the two?

Not that I can tell. I bought the Aussie new and would have gone with an Aussie in the rear, but found a used Spartan from a guy here on NAXJA that I know and trust and he offered me a good deal.

Having had lunchbox lockers F/R for a year now, I'd highly recommend mixing and matching selectable/automatic lockers (or all selectable). There are a number of times I would like to run up a steep hill in 4LO to lesson load on the drivetrain, but don't want to deal with the odd steering and wear and tear that comes with a fully locked drivetrain.

If I could do it over again, it'd be automatic locker out back and a selectable (ARB, Eaton E-Locker) up front. Bonus is you replace the weak-ish stock carrier in the Dana 30 and can reasonably run 35s with a set of upgraded axleshafts.

got 2 lokkas. went cheap so when i replace axles I don't have a bunch tied up in them. working great

I have auto lockers front and rear, and there is no unusual wear and tear on either axle or their tires. The only complaint I have is the front auto locker behaving badly in winter weather on pavement. A selectable locker or a TrueTrac Limited Slip for the front axle and a locked rear axle would be my choice for driving in winter on pavement.

I have a 242 with Detroit trutrac front and Yukon Grizzly rear 8.8. Its great on the rocks, ice and snow is scecthy but not because the of the set up. In the snow and ice my transmission pushes the jeep when the brakes are applied the front wheels lock up and the rears don’t so the transmission pushes the Jeep forward. My solution is putting it in neutral when I need to use the breaks oh how I love owning a Jeep it’s like flying a plane.

Back