• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ No start after Golen Swap

BMXxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi friends,

I recently swapped in a Golen 4.6, i had the dyno break in service done.

At first it wouldn't start due to a bad ground not turning my fuel pump on, it would just crank and crank. now i remedied that and have fuel.

and this is what happened when i try to start it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnbTXrEDbeE

#6 plug had gas on it prior to this start attempt, i bet it does again. i had to get to work so i wont be trying again until morning. It did get new injectors supplied by Golen

i haven't checked spark yet, i'm pretty stumped as to why this is happening. in the 11 years i've owned this jeep, it's never not started, thought it would be a relatively simple longblock swap.

If the battery has been disconnected for an extended period of time, it is possible that the ECM has rebooted and deleted all the idle settings. The symptoms of a re-boot are difficulty starting without slightly pumping the gas pedal, and then having to nurse the gas to prevent stalling until the idle settles down. After a short period of driving, the idle settings are re-learned and the engine will start as normal. The extra friction from the new parts cannot be helping much with a smooth quick start.

If the battery has been disconnected for an extended period of time, it is possible that the ECM has rebooted and deleted all the idle settings. The symptoms of a re-boot are difficulty starting without slightly pumping the gas pedal, and then having to nurse the gas to prevent stalling until the idle settles down. After a short period of driving, the idle settings are re-learned and the engine will start as normal. The extra friction from the new parts cannot be helping much with a smooth quick start.

It was disconnected for a couple weeks while I did some firewall rust repair and cleaned up components that got transferred. I did try the gas pedal per golens instruction. Same result. It does not fire at all. You’re a great help in the forums and have been a long time, thanks for chiming in Tim. BTW I was Vassago26 on jeepforum way back.

It sounds like either the timing is off or it's border line hydro locking from a bad injector. I would try what Tim said and if no luck pull the injector rail and prime the fuel and see if one is spraying fuel when it shouldn't. You can crank it for a second too and see if one starts to dump. Keep a fire extinguisher handy! If all good I would recheck distributor timing.

I want to add, this engine was ran and broken in on the dyno. My battery is 18 months old but I’m going to have it checked in the morning and replaced if needed. Starter, alternator, rebuilt locally prior to swap and everything was functional prior to swap, I just had 200k on a block that had two 0331 heads crack and my low pressure wasnt trustworthy so I went this route since I’m moving to Moab in 3 weeks now. Plan was to be running 2 weeks ago. I’m getting pretty worried at this point, as this is going to be my primary vehicle again and I’m driving it to Moab.

It sounds like either the timing is off or it's border line hydro locking from a bad injector. I would try what Tim said and if no luck pull the injector rail and prime the fuel and see if one is spraying fuel when it shouldn't. You can crank it for a second too and see if one starts to dump. Keep a fire extinguisher handy! If all good I would recheck distributor timing.

That’s my plan for tomorrow! The injectors are new, but it doesn’t mean one isn’t bad.

That sounds like crazy off timing or the spark plugs all put in wrong. Since it was tested and ran and you dont have a distributor being an 01 I'd recheck the plugs. We all make mistakes.

If that's all good try pushing the pedal one quarter of the way down while cranking. Computer may be all messed up with all the new data.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had just pulled, checked and cleaned the plugs directly before taking that video. I’ll recheck the timing tomorrow as well. How could plugs be put in wrong? They just screw in? they are the plugs that ran on the dyno.

That sounds like crazy off timing or the spark plugs all put in wrong. Since it was tested and ran and you dont have a distributor being an 01 I'd recheck the plugs. We all make mistakes.

If that's all good try pushing the pedal one quarter of the way down while cranking. Computer may be all messed up with all the new data.

Meant to quote in my last reply. BTW, where in CT are you? I’m in Bristol.

I dont know too much about the non distributor xj setups I've only worked on the pre 2000 models so I'm just spit balling ideas

The last time I left a light on and ran down the battery, it took several tries to start even with much longer than normal period of time cranking the starter and nursing the gas pedal.

Can we all assume that you went back over the install and checked all the wire plugs and wire connections, just in case something was/is not fully and properly connected and/or properly routed around sharp metal and hot parts ? Sometimes I forget to look at the basic stuff right in front of my nose. With coil on plug spark rail, you can have one or more spark plug boots not properly engage the spark plug. The boot can bunch up, and not make contact with the plug tip. I have had that happen once long ago, and as I recall it ran and sounded very weird.

Last edited:
Timing was off by 90 degrees. Fired right up after making the adjustment and cleaning the plugs.

Was this touched after the motor was dyno'd? If not how could they claim it was dyno'd/broken in or am I missing some information?

Congrats. Enjoy. Hopefully they built it with proper tolerances so you'll have hundreds of thousands of miles of joy

Was this touched after the motor was dyno'd? If not how could they claim it was dyno'd/broken in or am I missing some information?

They have all their own stuff on the dyno. I went and saw it synod and picked it up. I screwed up transferring the sensor from my old block because I didn’t know to take the cover off and line up the pulse ring.

Back