• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 ABS to '96 booster/MC swap

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, I know the topic has been beat to death...but I still can't find a thread that is under the same parameters as I am.

I want to know if I keep the prop valve on the ABS system and swap it over to the '96 booster, or if I use the '96 prop valve. And if that's the case, where do I put which lines?

Another thing I can't figure out is why everyone replaces the lines to the prop valve, it seems like you can keep them in the same spot to me?

~Scott

That's exactly what I did - ditch all the ABS junk. Use the prop valve that's attached to the 96 master cylinder. The fittings are different - SAE vs metric I think. I used the fittings from the 96, cut off my old fittings and reflared. When you switch prop valves, you'll need to reroute the lines a little. Also, note that the rear wheel cylinder is a little bigger for the non-ABS system - it's a good idea to put in new ones while you are at it.

I have rear disc as I'm doing an 8.8 swap at the same time.

I pulled the ABS booster today, but some of the stuff I took off doesn't look like it works with the '96 booster, and the ABS booster was WAY more complicated (lines going everywhere) but my '96 set-up only has two lines and they go to the prop valve.

I feel like I'm missing something. Any chance there's a write up floating around out there with the same set-up as me? I see a lot of WJ stuff for my rig but nothing really for a '96 swap.

~Scott

Once you get the actuation rod to the pedal figured out and the ABS junk gone, it really is as easy as it sounds.

So anyone know what to do with the ABS pump?

~Scott

Back