• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snaped Bolts on Rear Axle Bump Stop

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Need some help. My rear axle bump stop on my 2000 Cherokee disintegrated, when I went to unbolt it both of the bolts snapped off even or almost even with the frame channel. What is the beat approach now? Is it possible to punch the remaining bolt into the frame channel into the frame channel breaking the nut loose inside and leaving an open hole? How difficult would this be? I was then thinking of either using a self tapping bolt of the appropriate size on installing a rivet nut of the appropriate size. Or what would you suggest. Open to any and all suggestions and help.
Thank you in advance,
Bill

Best bet would to soak the bolts down with something like PB blaster for a couple days. Then drill the bolts for a Easy-out and apply some heat with a propane torch, then try to back out the studs.

Best bet would to soak the bolts down with something like PB blaster for a couple days. Then drill the bolts for a Easy-out and apply some heat with a propane torch, then try to back out the studs.

HOW SAFE IS OPEN FLAME AROUND THE GAS TANK? I HAVE PROPANE, MAPP AND OX/ACTY AVAILABLE. LEARY OF OPEN FLAME AROUND FUEL TANK, GETTING MORE CAUTIOUS IN MY OLD AGE.

When you drilled, did you drill where the original bolts where or did you relocate the holes a little forward or backward from the original mounting spot.

If a rusty bolt snaps off, so will an easy out. Easy outs work best when the bolt snaps due to excessive torque only, and not due to being seized in place with rust.

I have good luck using industrial grade tools to drill out the old bolt and old threads and tap to next larger size. Knocking out the original weld nuts and using nut certs or homemade nut plates also works.

Could you drill a hole in the bolt and use a self tapping bolt?

I just drilled through the bolt to the next largest bolt size, tapped the hole, and called it a day.

Back