NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 27th, 2005, 07:11
NAXJA Forum User

Oil filter location change?

I'm getting tired of making a mess trying to the the oil filter removed. My '91 motor had the oil filter vertical right by the distributor. When I swapped in a '97 it was horizontal so I left it. Is there any reason why I can't remount it vertical like my old motor??
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:18
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Oil filter location change?

Go to www.madxj.com and look in the technical section for engine upgrades
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:26
NAXJA Forum User

I've been there, they talk about changing to the hroizontal filter but not going vertical. Unless I missed something.
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:35
NAXJA Forum User

I use an old bread loaf metal pan and set it in there under the filter after I have loosen it. it collects all the oil with no mess.
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asatxj
I've been there, they talk about changing to the hroizontal filter but not going vertical. Unless I missed something.

Rotate the L-adapter 90 degrees and use the original metric("207" style) filter.

At the bottom page in the summary. Do the reverse.
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:27
NAXJA Forum User

You may be able to rotate the mount, but the filter threads stay the same - use the same filter - the older style with the metric threads won't fit.
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:40
I Jeep, therefore, I am..

You can also wrap an old bread wrapper or other plastic bag around the oil filter before you remove it. The bag will catch any dripping oil....
Old February 27th, 2005, 13:04
NAXJA Forum User

I may just rotate it. The biggest problem is the nut who puts the filter on too tight because he doesn't want it to leak Seems when I go 5k miles instead of the usual 3k I have fun getting it loose. Guess I need to do do two things. 1) rotate it and 2) change it on time. Shall we entertain a new discussion on how often we should change it? BTW hot tip, Motorcraft 10w-30 is a semi-syn for $1.50 qt at Wally World. Have to look close they have a semi syn and a Dino.
Old February 27th, 2005, 15:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asatxj
I may just rotate it. The biggest problem is the nut who puts the filter on too tight because he doesn't want it to leak Seems when I go 5k miles instead of the usual 3k I have fun getting it loose. Guess I need to do do two things. 1) rotate it and 2) change it on time. Shall we entertain a new discussion on how often we should change it? BTW hot tip, Motorcraft 10w-30 is a semi-syn for $1.50 qt at Wally World. Have to look close they have a semi syn and a Dino.

10-30 way to low viscosity I have always run 20-50 quaker state and never had any engine problems. 95 is on 250,000 miles and still within 1% of original factory specs on compression etc.
Old February 27th, 2005, 20:29
NAXJA Forum User

20-50???? I wouldn't be able to start it half the year with molasses in my engine. Mine lives outside in Michigan and 20-50 is way to heavy here, maybe in the dessert SW like Arizona, not here.
Old February 27th, 2005, 20:45
NAXJA Forum User

HMMM I live at 7000 ft altitude and the avg winter temps are about the same as yours. we have had over 100 " of snow this year
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:12
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, so why run 20-50, the owners manual says 10-30 for my application. Now, if you have issues with compression or oil burning the heavier grade may be helpful. I ran 20-50 in a old Ford Fiesta for no good reason and when I switched to 10-40 I picked up 2 mpg. I wasn't burning oil so the change in grade didn't harm a thing, just let the engine work less hard.
If you rock crawl a lot where excessive engine temps are an issue then I can see a heavy oil but not when I do DD and trail use that isn't >1mph I rarely use 4lo as I don't do that type of trails. If you do, then it may be a good idea.
naturally, opinions are like noses, everyone's got one.
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:27
NAXJA Forum User

I never do any oil in any vehicle under 10-40, never have to me the 10-30 is a minium reccomondation. and most of what I use em in is highway vehices. It has just been my experience over the past 30 years of driving I get less engine wear and able to push the vehicles harder running heavier oil. shoot my 95 has over 220,000 miiles on it and still within 1% of original factory compression and the oil remains clean for about 2000 miles.

If I ran the reccomended 10-30 in our shelby glhs the oil pressure would never rise above 20 and knocks like a mofo. with 20-50 no knocking and 65 psi.

In the comanche 2.5 4 cyl I have little if any blowby into the air cleaner with 20-50 and about a quart a month with 10-30

anyone running an older pre HO xj will get much better results with a higher viscosity oil as requards to ail in the air filter. and will run smoother also. In my seat of the pants experience
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
You can also wrap an old bread wrapper or other plastic bag around the oil filter before you remove it. The bag will catch any dripping oil....
Good disposable solution...

I'm going to have to try that next time.
Old February 28th, 2005, 12:02

you could just get a remote filter setup and put it wherever you want , plus then you could run different type of filters , dual filters, cooolers , or a bypass.
I got my dual remote set up for under 50 bucks if I remember right. It is set up 2 run 2 of the large Ford filters.