NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:16
NAXJA Member

Re: AW4 filter change pictures

thanks for the pics
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:19
NAXJA Forum User

Great stuff. This will come in handy this weekend.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:26
NAXJA Forum User

When I tried to do this I couldnt get the pan off. PO had new exhasut pipe welded up at sometime during its life and the sjop bent the pipe so it ran right under the pan. Had to work a new gasket in by hand, never did get the filter off. Just a heads up to others.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndrewa View Post
__________________________________________________ _____________

APPENDIX A.)
tools used
__________________________________________________ _____________

* shop light
* pocket knife
* ratchet strap
* chisel - wide
* chisel - narrow
* parts cleaner
* emery cloth
* rubber mallet
* shop gloves
* torque wrench
* 3/8 ratchet
* 3/8 extension
* 13 mm sockets
* swivel
* 1/4 ratchet
* 1/4 extension
* small funnel
* long funnel
* flashlight
* punch
darn it.
forgot to include my spiffy photo:

Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:47
NAXJA Forum User

HELP!!!

Great write up on the filter/fluid change.

I just did this procedure on my '96 XJ last week, but now I'm having problems!

After replacing the filter and pan gasket, adding four quarts of Dexron III, and pumping more old fluid out through the tranny cooler return line until I saw new fluid, I can't get the transmission to engage. The shifter moves through each gear but nothing happens, the jeep goes no where. I've been searching the forums but have yet to find anyone with my specific problem. Any suggestions?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:48
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Did you check the fluid level? 4 quarts may not have been enough to refill it and without hydraulic pressure the transmission will not engage.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

Just did this over the weekend. The last person in there used a crapload of RTV on the pan instead of just using a gasket...I think I probably spent 30-45 mins fighting to get the pan off. Eventually pried the beast apart and bent the flange on the pan pretty good. Luckily, it bent right back into place with some well placed channel locks. Shifting seems about the same as before, but now it's not overfilled and I know the service is done. The magnets and filter weren't all that dirty, but someone was obviously in there previously and the Jeep only has 56k miles on it (bought it at 46k).

I'll check the fluid in a couple weeks to see how dirty it is and do some drain/fills as needed to get it nice and clean.

Thanks for the writeup!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 13:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno p View Post
HELP!!!

Great write up on the filter/fluid change.

I just did this procedure on my '96 XJ last week, but now I'm having problems!

After replacing the filter and pan gasket, adding four quarts of Dexron III, and pumping more old fluid out through the tranny cooler return line until I saw new fluid, I can't get the transmission to engage. The shifter moves through each gear but nothing happens, the jeep goes no where. I've been searching the forums but have yet to find anyone with my specific problem. Any suggestions?
First, make sure you are checking the level with it warmed up to operating temp. Cycle the shifter thru all the gear. You are also check this in Park with the engine running, correct? If not, you will be very low on fluid. If all of this is done correctly then....

You could run into the problem on higher mileage transmissions. Dirty (but not burnt) fluid is not always bad. As a tranny wears over the year, a lot of the friction material becomes suspended in the fluid (hence making it dirty looking). What can happen is that you flush all the old fluid out and along with it, this material. Now all the clearances on the bands are too large to clamp correctly and move the vehicle. Sometimes clean fluid is not always better for a high mileage transmission.

I have talked to a number of people over the years who have had fluid flushed done, only to kill the transmission a few hundred miles later. Replacing what is in the pan but not flushing everything out of the converter/tranny is actually better for high mileage ones. It allows the new fluid to mix with the old and continue to work like before.

I hope your problem is just being low on fluid. Good luck.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 15:57
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the replies guys. UPDATE: I added another quart (5 total) and the XJ is moving again (although sluggish). Stick still measuring way low, but I don't know if thats just because I havent really warmed the tranny up.Circumstances don't allow me to drive far at all right now, but I'll post another update when I get to road test it.

Hopefully you're right about it being low fluid. I can only hope. Ive just seen where other guys have added a quart or two and then had it show up super high on the stick the next day. We'll see...
Old May 3rd, 2010, 16:56
NAXJA Forum User

One side of my dipstick is for the cold level and the other side is the hot side. I've got a '93 btw.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 18:08
NAXJA Forum User

Another UPDATE: Just drove up the hill, about 30 minutes.
Tranny seems to be doing its job, though its still not registering anywhere above the ADD line. Up to 5.5 quarts now.

Think i'm going to drain the fluid and fill 'er up again because the fluid doesn't smell new at all.
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:57
Headbanging Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno p View Post
HELP!!!

After replacing the filter and pan gasket, adding four quarts of Dexron III, and pumping more old fluid out through the tranny cooler return line until I saw new fluid, I can't get the transmission to engage.
To much out not enough in!!!!!! Fill it!!
People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous. Edmund Burke
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:09
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRaptor View Post
To much out not enough in!!!!!! Fill it!!
X2. Let it sit for about five or ten minutes before checking the level (and check with it warmed up and in the proper gear on a level surface after shifting through all the gears a few times while the moon is 3 days past full, etc etc); after pouring fluid down the dipstick tube (why exactly did they decide this was a good idea for all automatic transmissions?) the inside of the tube is so covered in fluid that you won't get a good reading at all till it drains down a bit.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:33
NAXJA Forum User

I could be wrong but I was fairly sure you had to have the engine running and in park when you check it. This pumps fluid thru out the tranny and gives you the correct reading.

If you read it with the engine off, more drains back into the pan and makes it "look like" it's full or over filled. I don't have my owners manual in front of me but every time I go to check the level, I pull it out and double check.

Edit: BTW, total system capacity is 8.5-9 quarts. If you pumped fluid out of the tranny line until new fluid was coming out BUT you were NOT adding the same amount back into it at the same time, you could easily be down a couple quarts than a normal filter/pan drop (approx. 4 quarts to fill). Start adding .5 quarts at a time until you get it back up to capacity.

Last edited by xj_mike; May 4th, 2010 at 11:42.
Old May 4th, 2010, 13:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndrewa View Post
thanks! yes, a typo, and one that i can't fix now.

maybe a mod can go in and edit that post for me.
Done!

Nice write up.