• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disconnecting battery while welding info

I've always heard to disconnect the battery but I never do. Havent had anything bad happen yet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

When he says
Today’s electronic devices operate at MUCH lower signal voltage levels than they used to. It’s what comes with trying to make processors operate faster and faster …

What "day" is today?

Does he mean anything with a computer? Like back to the early '80s? Or does he mean the current state of affairs with on board communication and navigation systems? Things have changed quite a bit over about 40 years.

FWIW, I have always disconnected the battery before welding. I haven't lost any components due to doing so.

I have always disconnected the battery too. Other than trail repairs, a lot of the stuff I have repaired has either got a flat battery or a missing one.

So a question for the 'keep connected' camp. What would you do if you need to have emergency welding repairs done on the trail using a pair of 12v batteries?

Haven't dis-connected a battery in over 40 yrs and done tons of vehicles. The key is not voltage but electro-magnetism. If your going to weld around those devices that could pick up on that you just shield them. Always place your ground clamp as close as possible to your welding and in a current path that's away from any of those devices.

I've never disconnected the battery. All good!

Looks as if it doesn't matter either way. Anyone with a bad experience?

Cars, motorcycles, tractors, never disconnected the battery, never had a problem. Guys at the local exhaust shop never disconnect anything either and weld on cars everyday.

some electrics remain on unless battery is disconnected. If on, they might be harmed from their ground side going high as might happen when welding, If the electronics is on when this happens, something might get cooked. It will take a special combination of events to do this, including the electronics in the nearby path of the welder ground current. Having the weld ground clamp very near the weld bead alleviates this problem to a large extent. Still, I prefer to disconnect battery ground to be on the safe side, I have never caused harm by doing so.
Id hate to blow a pricey stereo, or e.c.u. when welding on a friends fancy new fangled electronics loaded car because I was not in the habit of precautionary battery disconnection.

So when you say welding do you think type may change the answer? I mig on my Jeep and other vehicles with and without undoing the battery. I'm lazy, forget, etc. I have been wary of using the high freq start Tig on my vehicles in general. As a matter of fact one day I was using the Tig on my welding table and the ground came off without me knowing. It gave me quite the joult! So no Tig on the Jeep for me...
This is just pertaining to hf start machines though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back