• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beater?

skunkman

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an opportunity to buy either a 2wd 4.0 xj $700, a mid 80's Ramcharger 4x4 w/ 318 $1800, a mid 80's bronco 302 $1800 or a 82 grand cherokee with a 304 for $800. What is the best bang for buck. I'll want to replace the rust holes. I wont be restoring this to factory specs. What will I have the best performance on and off road? What will have the best offroad prawlness? What would you guys get?

skunkman said:
I've got an opportunity to buy either a 2wd 4.0 xj $700, a mid 80's Ramcharger 4x4 w/ 318 $1800, a mid 80's bronco 302 $1800 or a 82 grand cherokee with a 304 for $800. What is the best bang for buck. I'll want to replace the rust holes. I wont be restoring this to factory specs. What will I have the best performance on and off road? What will have the best offroad prawlness? What would you guys get?

An '82 Grand Cherokee with a 304? I don't think so. That should be Grand Wagoneer, and I don't think they used the 304 in that. Should be a 360 if it's original.

Since you're looking for off-road as well as on-road, unfortunately I'd have to rule out the 2WD XJ. The old Ramchargers were good vehicles, and so were the old Broncos. However, they are more than twice the price of the Grand Wagoneer. I had a '78 and it was very capable off-road. I sold it because I couldn't keep up with the rust.

Given that you want bang-for-the-buck, of those four choices I think the Grand Wagoneer wins hands down -- but only if it's a 360. If someone dropped in a 304, there's no telling what else they messed up. In that case, I'd jump to the Ramcharger.

An '82 Grand Cherokee with a 304? I don't think so. That should be Grand Wagoneer, and I don't think they used the 304 in that. Should be a 360 if it's original.

Being a FSJ freak I would say you've got a GW like Eagle mentioned or possibly a Cherokee Laredo (commonly called Grand Cherokee by dumb sellers).

Is it a 2 door or a 4 door??

Also....you can find factory 304's from time to time...though they were very rare. Go full size...you wont regret it. =)

If you do go FSJ....check out www.ifsja.org

Back