• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter on the Rocks...

X1994J

NAXJA Forum User
My family and I had a great time! The entire event went pretty smooth as far as I could tell.

We ran the maze on Friday. A very fun trail with some challenging obstacles. Seemed like everybody was doing pretty good until Jeff's buggy decided to spit the rear axle out... the rear truss broke off the housing, the axle wrapped back and broke the drive line and the eyes off the bottom of the air shocks. Using his rear suck down winch, some chain, a few straps, a pair of vise grips.. we were able to get the rear axle to stay stationary enough to set the body down on the axle and he managed to get it off the trail in front wheel drive. I also got to experience using my stinger as a push bar. :yes:

After Jeff broke it seemed like everybody was cursed from then on out. A YJ broke a rear leaf, MAtt's drive line, Kevin's flop.

Thanks to Del and John for the help getting the buggy back together. We bugged Del with a few calls looking for options to fix the buggy. He mentioned John had a tig to weld the aluminum, so we gave John a shout and ended up over there Friday night. He kept trying to convince us the welds wouldn't hold, (i'll admit, they weren't the prettiest, but we weren't exactly giving him much to work with) but thats not what we were going for. :p We would eventually prove John wrong anyway. :yes: So shocks were fixed. Next on the list was the drive line, we were at six states at 7:30 in the morning, cool group of guys. They didnt have the parts new, but they did come up with a used drive line they were able to use the parts from to fix Jeff's. While we waited for the drive line we started searching for somewhere to weld the rear truss back on. Six Sates mentioned Mike's Welding. Mike is a good guy. He agreed to meet us at his shop at 9:30 and he would do the welding.

While we were waiting we pulled into a parking lot, jacked up the buggy, fired up the generator, cleaned the housing up, got the truss centered on the axle, used our little 110 to tack it all in place and made some templates to plate the back of the truss. :shades: Renting the enclosed sure paid off this trip.

Once we were done we picked the drive line up, headed over to Mike's, pulled the buggy in and he welded the truss up while we used his plasma to cut out the fish plates. Then Mike welded them up too. And we were off and running. Went back to the Hotel, jeff threw the air shocks and drive line back on. the weather sucked, but we headed out for a few hours to fart around. Started heading up Nasty Half, we made it as far as we could. Jeff ended up picking a bad line and flopped the buggy. We got it flipped back over and headed back down. All in all turned out to be a good day.

Thanks Del, John, everybody who helped get the buggy rolling, Six States, and Mike @ Mike's Welding.
DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

100_0913.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

Here's a few pics of our ventures Saturday..

Doing some work in the parking lot...
0219110840.jpg

Mike makin it happen..
0219111001.jpg

0219110958.jpg

Kade chillin in the Sami...
0218111747.jpg

0218111746.jpg

Misc. pic...
0218111548.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJdPlYcknd8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tycF-zCgitI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwV7IKvG4LY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p0o39rvUGY

great pics. the maze is my new favorite trail. next to smurfettes trail :D

and this!
themazetrail22.jpg

3 and 1/2 more weeks and i'm gonna attempt them :gee:

now i wanna see that! post up on your build thread when you do it!

Back