• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont crank wont start nothing

90xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
ok so after extesive replacing of parts i finaly got the jeep to start and run yesterdsy. went out and played in the mud for a lil bit. went and put gas in it. took it to the wash. started fine every time. thismorning i go to start her up and none to my supprise it wouldnt start. i can hear the starter relay click like it should and everything works. windows radio lights ec. when i try and start it the coolant temp guage goes up. and thats it. it dosnt turn over or anything. i have checked all the fuses i could think of or find that go to the ignition. and the battery has a good charge. i even tried to jump it off a friends just to be sure. and still nothing happens. anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this. maybe a bad switch or something. this thing dosnt even try and turn. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clean the battery terminals. it could be your starter solenoid also. i was having the same problem last week. it "magically" went away though, i don't know. the way i made mine start was by turning the ignition key to on for about 20 seconds. then turn it to start it. if that doesn't work, push down on the brakes and try and start it. if that doesn't work, try starting it 4 or 5 times. just my .02

correct me if i am wrong but isnt the solenoid in the starter? and isnt that a pain in the @$$ to change. i would hope that is a last resort. anybody else have any other ideas?

Check the starter. If it starts clicking and wont turn you can try hitting it with a hammer. Sometimes that will cause the gears to mesh again and start it.

Dean

If you took it in the mud you can bet it got some mud in the starter keeping the brushes from turning. Take the starter out and either take it apart and clean it with some wd-40 or get another one.

ok the starter is clean. and i dont hear it clicking. nothing at all. i checked all the links from the starter relay. checked all the fuses. checked the nutral saftey switch. checked and checked. how do i test the solenoid and starter? the starter dosnt even try and turn the motor. and the only click i here is the starter relay. every thing else works. the batt. has full charge. this thing just has me stumped. i dont know where to go from here. i dont want to just start replacing parts. that gets expencive. does anyone have anymore suggestions or diagnostic idea's?

ok so i am thinking nutral saftey switch. so i have a few questions for you all. first. if it was the nss. would the before mentioned symptoms be signs of it. second how do i bypass it on a 90 xj limited 4.0 third what are the ways to diagnose this thing going bad. frankly for $300 if it is broke i will just bypass it and let it be. not worth that much to me. i am the only one who drives it. so i dont have to worry about the saftey issue. and last. what would cause this thing to go out without notice. just die. maybe i am going in the wron direction. i dont know. any input would be nice. thanks,

Did you remove the starter and open it up to look inside? Did you bench test the starter? If the starter relay is clicking then the neutral safety switch is allowing a start signal to go to the relay. You really need to stay focused on diagnosis and not jump all over the place.

yes i just tested the starter this evening. and it was good. thats why i thought maybe it was the nss. but if the relay clicking is a sign that the nss is good. then i am left at a dead end again. all the fuseable links tested out fine. and the ignition switch is new. so is the starter relay. and the ground wire. everything else works fine. no other problem but the engine dosnt turn.

Find your starter relay behind the battery/AC compressor. Here's how to bypass relay/NSS/ignition switch on an '89. 'hope it's close -

NSS_jumper1.jpg

NSS_jumper2.jpg

are you using a multi meter or a 12 volt test light to test. have you tryed using a remote starter switch. it's possible that you have a flat or dead spot on the starter armature. as stated before try tapping starter badge714

Last edited:
my nss got wore out/misaligned and in order to start my 92 cherokee i had to wiggle the shifter (auto tranny) while turning the key to find the new nss position. also ive seen battery terminals give enough power for the lights and radio but not enough to turn the starter so like uvaldetxj said give em a good cleaning. i hope this helps.

Ya I agree with j33pownr. I had just finished putting my axle on my car after it being off for a week, started it up multiple times at my friends house were we did the work, got down to my house, 2 hours later went to drive my dad up to get the car I had taken up there, and it wouldnt start. 2 days it sat until the tow truck got there, I had full power and everything, eveyrthing worked. I had an electrical problem earlier due to a loose ground, and it kept reading NSS, except it was fine, and the driver and I agreed it was probably the NSS was a little off. I went to show the tow truck driver, and as I was releasing the key, it started to turn, started up couple times after that, drove it to my mechanics, he wasn't there, went to get back in my car, wouldn't start. I punched my shifter (auto tranny) and it must have clicked itself back in or whatnot because it hasn't done it since.

Over summer there was a grand cherokee that woudn't start on our beach, as I was driving out there to see if I could help. It sounded like he was having the same problem, told him to do the same, and he was able to start it in nuetral.

Back