• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AGM Battery Replacement

XJ_NorCal

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to replace my Everstart Gold battery with an AGM battery. Nothing wrong with the current battery but I'm going to install a winch, small powered sub, CB and LED bar in a few weeks so I need to upgrade. I googled and searched NAXJA for recommended AGM batteries and my head spun. I'm starting to suffer from Paralysis by Analysis.

I'm looking at a Bosch Platinum AGM from Pep Boys for about $150.
Are there any batteries in that price range that I should consider besides the Bosch?
(Please no Odyssey/Optima/Northstar recommendations, they're not in my budget)

Also, I'm aware that I need the electrical wiring and alternator. It is currently in plan with the aforementioned upgrades which is why I'm looking for a cost effective AGM. Thanks NAXJA!!!!!!!

That's a good price, but what size is it, that makes a difference!

Advance Auto and O'Reilly's both offer AGM batteries under their house brands for a similar price. Had the O'Reilly's and it lasted 4 years before dying... A bit premature I thought, but I also didn't take care of it. Currently have the Advance auto AGM but it's only been installed for a few months so I can't really comment on longevity

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Had the O'Reilly's and it lasted 4 years before dying... A bit premature I thought, but I also didn't take care of it.

How do you "not" take care of a AGM battery???

Napa sells an agm battery not sure of the price though which ever one you choose I would check the manufacturer build date stamped on the end of the battery Napa battery's are made by Deka

If you're worried about heavy, extended electrical loads when it comes to the the battery, the most important rating I would pay attention to is the rated amp/hours. Buuuuuuut since most automotive batterys aren't rated in amp-hours, we'll pay attention to the ghetto, automotive, version instead, reserve capacity. Reserve capacity is defined as "The number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 dungrees Fahrenheit is discharged at 25 amps before the voltage falls below 10.5 volts."

While cranking amps and cold cranking amps are nice to have (and higher reserve capacity batteries usually have higher CA and CCA ratings), they mean f***-all in a big ship when it comes to discharge rates. Speaking of which, you might also consider installing a higher-output alternator. Some aftermarket companies make higher output versions, but if you're a border-line cheap-a** like me, there's some Durangos (IIRC) with higher output alternators that you can pick from the yard and swap in. Do a search for it. Running the right gauge wire (or maybe even a size higher) to your high-demand accessories will keep both your battery and alternator happy. I can't remember the exact size you should run for amps and number of feet, but that's what Google is for.

The (Oriely) Super Start Platinum AGM group 34 fit into my 97 using the stock hold down and minor trimming of the battery tray. Its been in the Jeep for about 4 years. It can run my ARB cooler in summer weather for 12 hours or so and still provide solid starting power.

I'm very satisfied with this Super Start AGM. I owned an Odyssey previously for another vehicle and saw no better performance from it.

Look into Deka batteries. They may show up under a number of different names. I have heard a lot of positive things about them. One of these days I will have some firsthand experience with them.

I own 2 deka intimidator AGM batteries -- both solid performers

Duracell, the brand sold at SAMs club, are rebadged Deka made by east penn -- the battery in my XJ is AGM from SAMs club

That's a good price, but what size is it, that makes a difference!

Size Group 34...

I own 2 deka intimidator AGM batteries -- both solid performers

Duracell, the brand sold at SAMs club, are rebadged Deka made by east penn -- the battery in my XJ is AGM from SAMs club

The Duracell battery has performed well for you? Sam's Club has the Duracell Platinum AGM for $130 online but that doesn't include tax and core charges. Still not a bad price. The Duracell has a 3 year warranty but there's a review indicating using the warranty was a major hassle. The Bosch from Pep Boys is a 4 year replacement warranty and the specs for both batteries are the same. I'm still leaning towards the Bosch.

The (Oriely) Super Start Platinum AGM group 34 fit into my 97 using the stock hold down and minor trimming of the battery tray. Its been in the Jeep for about 4 years. It can run my ARB cooler in summer weather for 12 hours or so and still provide solid starting power.

I'm very satisfied with this Super Start AGM. I owned an Odyssey previously for another vehicle and saw no better performance from it.

Same here, except I'm running a Coleman "iceless cooler" with mine.

I've also had excellent results with the 1200 version of this battery in my buggy:

https://www.kartek.com/parts/total-power-1500-series-1500-cranking-amps.html

1500 series is 57Ah @ 20Ah rate, which is a little better than the group 34 O'Reilly AGM.

The napa agm made by deka is $157.99 we also list a dual terminal agm for about $20.00 more dollars

I have a Duracell AGM from Batteries Plus it was 200.

I'm showing $187.61 in my checkout cart with the linked coupon code. Bosch platinum still cheaper by about $26.

The napa agm made by deka is $157.99 we also list a dual terminal agm for about $20.00 more dollars

I'm showing a total of $192 at checkout for the first battery you listed. That's about $30 more expensive and has the same specs as the Bosch.

I just got a 34/78 Optima for my new XJ for 199$ with no tax, no core, and free shipping!

Size Group 34...

The Duracell battery has performed well for you? Sam's Club has the Duracell Platinum AGM for $130 online but that doesn't include tax and core charges. Still not a bad price. The Duracell has a 3 year warranty but there's a review indicating using the warranty was a major hassle. The Bosch from Pep Boys is a 4 year replacement warranty and the specs for both batteries are the same. I'm still leaning towards the Bosch.

Those Duracell batteries at Sams go on sale a couple times a year -- I'm not even a member, I paid for 1 day membership so I could buy that AGM battery -- Don't remember the price but it was good enough to make me go out of my way and pay a membership fee

Isn't the Bosch the same thing? Made by East Penn? -- I'm pretty sure I looked hard at the pep boys offering -- The Sams club sale still won out though

The battery has been perfect -- I don't expect to need to use the warranty

I also have some Sears Die Hard Platinum AGM batteries -- the rebadged Odyssey -- those are some great batteries too, unfortunately they where discontinued by Sears a few years ago -- I have 7 in service and going strong at the moment

Back