• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drained my bank account today lol

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
today i went to the local 4wd shop thinking i would *look* at a lift and some tires and if the prices were good then *maybe* buy some. well since i have zero self control i ended up getting a 4.5 inch lift, bds 3 inch coils and 1.5 spacers, front discos, bds shocks, bds 3 inch rear full packs, 1.5 lift shackel, track bar relocation bracket, and some other stuff, then i went and found some dayton timberline mt 33 12.5s and cleaned up some 15x7 aluminum wheels with 3.5 backspacing and got the tires mounted on them. the tires measure right at 32 mounted off of the vehicle. they almost *kinda* remind me of a Krawler the way the tread blocks and tread pattern are. i know im gonna have trim my fenders but im trying to figure out how much. i was thinking about tracing the stock fender flares on it then cutting if off there. if i do that will i have a problem in the rear with the welds? ive read that it shouldnt be problem in the front. im picking it up from the shop tommarow evening then putting the new tires on it right afterwards. i think there is someone on here with the same tires as i got, and the same color, red, as mine, and about the same amount of lift. sorry, immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. my other question is, i can get a 8.8 rears for CHEAP. i drove around my cousins salvage the other day and counted 7 or 8 explorers with the axle still under them. whats the chance one of them has 4.10s and how can i tell? do they have a tag like jeeps do? thanks for the replys in advance.

kolby

im on a budget being 17 tho so i was thinking if i could find one with 4.10s, and regear the front to 4.10 then i could save a few hundred and have gears i can live with still.

dude if you bought all that stuff at 17 you have a bigger bank account than i do! That is, unless you got a REALLY REALLY good deal on it (i hope ya did). I just cleaned out my bank account also....but i bought a CJ5:D

Kris

i wish i had your budget

I love when people say they are on a budget, and say they are underaged in the same sentence.

Does a budget mean mommy and daddy's money? Or have you spent all your hard earned money? Man, the days when I had no real responsibilities were great.

Fergie

PS- Holy sh!t, I sound like some of you old farts!

Speaking of budgets, my XJ is soon to be getting its very first lift, aww they grow up so fast, :tears:. What should be the first body armor to go on, I don't do much crawling now, mostly mud trails but hopefully will change soon. I was thinkin bumpers, just wondering about your input.

no it wasnt mommy and daddys money, when i was 14 i started hauling hay, bought a wrecked 91 camaro, fixed it, drove it till i was 16.5, then sold it and doubled my money, then bought my cj5 for cheap with the money from my camaro, fixed it up with money i had left from the camaro, and now i just traded the cj for my new cherokee and 1600, so yes its my money that i earned, now i can only do stuff to it as i get a new paycheck from work everyweek. and yes it is nice not having any bills, and ive never had a car payment cause ive paid cash for everything ive gotten so far.

C91Red - IIRC the general consensus around here has been to add tow points front and rear first then add the fuel tank skid and then transfer case skid and then rock rails. The engine skids don't seem to be too popular for maintenance issues. You can get your F/R tow points taken care of if you decide to swap out bumpers, but you can probably find some tow hooks alot cheaper.

kolby-
First of all PROPS to you for buying you own rigs. I bought my first car and every one since then on my own. I was working while while all the "mama's boys" were out playing in their new rides. When breakdowns happened though, they were coming to ME. Mine always ran!
Second, 4:10s and 33s are totally workable. That's what I'm running now. Even up here at 7000 ft, it runs great on the freeway and the trail. There are VERY few times where I "need" more gearing.

okay so it sounds like im gonna do a 8.8 with 4.10 swap and do 4.10s in the front, how do i tell what gears the 8.8 has without tearing it apart and counting teeth? what kind of mileage are u getting with the 33s and 4.10 combo? i have one of my friends call at least once a week to ask a question about how to rotate a tire, or somethingelse realy dumb lol. about all my parents do is pay my insurace and sometimes get me something for whatever im driving for christmas or my bday, most expensive i think so far was the 300 set wheels i got for christmas for my cj. i think people that pay for their own and work on it take ALOT beter care of someone that had mommy and daddy get it for them.

kolby

Kevin said:
C91Red - IIRC the general consensus around here has been to add tow points front and rear first then add the fuel tank skid and then transfer case skid and then rock rails. The engine skids don't seem to be too popular for maintenance issues. You can get your F/R tow points taken care of if you decide to swap out bumpers, but you can probably find some tow hooks alot cheaper.

it already has factory??????? tow hooks on the front. im prolly gonna attempt to build a bumper for the front and rear before long, next on the list is homebuilt tcase skid, then homebuilt gastank skid, with rock rails falling in the list somewhere.

kolby

I can't tell you about the 8.8, but if you Google it I bet you can come up with a chart. I've seen one somewhere before. Damn, that was useless.

While you are at it, find an XJ D30 with 4.10's off of a 4-cyl. Trade your D30 for it, and save the cash on gears.

I think what you are doing with axles is a perfect low cost option. 4.10's are ok for 33's, and you can get them stock in an 8.8 and XJ 4-cyl D30 for very little coin.

Kudos for paying for this crap yourself, at any age. I've used credit cards and I oughta sell this damn thing to pay 'em off.

Nay

If you jack up the rear end and spin the tire one full rotation you can count the rotations of the driveshaft to get the gear ratio. Also if the other tire spins the same way its a limited slip rear-end.

Its nice to see there are other teens who work for their money and buy everything themselves. A good portion of my jeep fund comes from fixing the cars that mommy and daddy bought for their kid and their kid broke because the beat the hell out of it. Granted I'm not the nicest driver my jeep has ever had, but I figure I'm allowed to because Im the one making the car payments, and buying the parts, and putting the parts on, and paying rent for the garage I store it in...

wow didnt know that the 4 cylinder xjs came with 4.10s in them, thats nice to know, now i just need to find a 8.8 with 4.10s, then a d30 with factory 4.10s and put in some lockers before the swap, then swap them in and be happy. anyone know where the chart for the 8.8 is?

kolby

How says kids have it easier than adults. I'm 20 and I work for everything I have. I buy everything I need myself. I pay for my clothes, rent, my fancy mountian bike, my snowboard stuff, everything to do with my jeep (insurance, gas, tires, lift, and maintenance), and my tools for work (Snap-on and Mac aren't cheap). I have worked since I was 15. I held down a job, played baseball and basketball, and went to school (with honour role). Now tell me it's easy being a kid. I don't think so.

That said, way to go on buying a lift. I just got my RE 4.5 lift in with 32s on and I am lovin it. I totally agree on getting armor right away. My quarter panels don't like me anymore because I haven't got my sliders on yet

marcus, I know how you feel. I've been doing that since I was 18....and the military doesnt pay all that great, believe me. Now, if i was an officer I'd get paid decent money, but being and e4, you still dont get paid worth crap. my takehome back stateside is like 1300 bucks a month after taxes, and I still gotta do maintenance and everything on my two vehicles, plus all the other fun stuff I gotta do. no overtime in the military;)

Back