• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleghorn ridge about 5:30 pm tonight. Tue. 6/7

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Me eldest granddaughter is out from Tennessee this week. Thought it would be fun for her get a taste of some wheeling. She doesn't know it yet, but she will be getting some seat time. Dad says she does fine in the side by side, OK in the Dodge truck...a little big.

We will be leaving the staging area about 5:15 - 5:30 pm. The staging area is on
3N22 about midway just off 2N47. 3N22 runs out to Hwy 38. IF anyone would like to join us, post up.Or use: 9o9.six 33. Eight 6o5

Basically we'll be running all the "bypasses" on Cleghorn Ridge from 3N22 and the lake; and not in a big hurry. Just as Ethan found out, 13 year old's don't get lockers.:nono: Open/open is how you learn.

Last edited:
Well that could have went better! Somewhere around 2/3 of way through the "bypasses" I lost a DS front U joint. FUBARed the ears on the inner and outer shafts. Was able to limp off in 2WD and park at the turnout / overlook at Silverwood on HWY 138.
Called AAA at 8:00, and then things went south. AAA forked everything up; didn't contact the right tow company. After two hours of waiting I called back the find out WTF? Flat bed finally shows up 1:30 in the morning. I'll deal with them this afternoon. It wasn't an issue with the driver not knowing where I was at. They had cross streets and GPS coordinates.
But it gets worse. I lost my front license plate. Spaced out and didn't pull it off the fairlead when we got to the staging area. Pretty sure I know where it's at. I had to do a 10 point turn into the brush at one spot. Is it stupid that I'm probably more upset about loosing the mount than the plate? Probably.
I still haven't got the MJ back together; at least I can work on it now by myself. I'm close but not before the weekend.

Ah, the things we call fun!

My grand daughter had a great time on the trail, I had a great time having her with me. Definitely a memorable event; and thanks to AAA, indelible. Wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

Called AAA, explained it took them 5 hours to dispatch a truck. Said the only reasonable solution I can see is for them to Remove the tow from my account. They will review it and get back to me in about a week. We shall see.

SCORE! Found the front plate. It was right where I thought it would be. Oddly enough I found, and picked up a bunch of U joint pieces too. I never realized that bending your license plate would cause U joint failure. :dunno:

Last edited:
Mebbe iffn you jam the license plate into the U-joint.

Mebbe iffn you jam the license plate into the U-joint.
Wouldn't it be better to hit the remaining ears with a grinder, and cut the plate up and pop rivet the repairs/missing ears in place. It would definitely reduce the rotational mass. Much better idea than my first, though. I was going to cut the ends off and use two hose clamps and some 1-1/4" hose.

Dang man, sounds like you had a time! What a nightmare lol, glad it's over. :D
'Til next time.:D

Good thing the neighbor has a built JK, and felt like going wheeling after work the next day. I have a few 31 spline outers on hand; just need to pick up an inner DS from Currie.

Definitely going to replace the PS U joint while I'm at it. Even though the pieces had been in the dust, some ran over a few times they inside of the caps were a bit dry. Should have been more dirt stuck to the grease; more grease for the dirt to stick in.

Last edited:
I have yet to lose a U-joint on account of snapping one off, but I have lost a number of them on account of being dry.

I am sure there are folks who need that little extra bit of strength, but for myself, the ability to lubricate them is a higher priority.

Called AAA, explained it took them 5 hours to dispatch a truck. Said the only reasonable solution I can see is for them to Remove the tow from my account. They will review it and get back to me in about a week. We shall see.

From AAA this morning:
"In reviewing your service request on 06/07/2022, we noted that our response to your service request did not meet your expectations and our standards. Our goal is to provide a service experience that is totally satisfying to our members.

Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience that you may have experienced when in need of roadside service. Be assured that your service request was not charged as one of your four allotted service requests for your current membership renewal period. "

It is good to see they are reasonable. I hope not to need it...but then again...

No thread is complete w/o pics :D

Yup, exactly where I left it! anybody with even half a brain would have taken the plate off before hitting the dirt.
mUnpJSel.jpg

My oldest granddaughter. She's getting older, not me.
78rPwkLl.jpg

Heading for the trail.
uSZZlpGl.jpg

Me, "Gabby, fold in the mirror." Her, "Why?"
KIVBzgfl.jpg

That's why.

Sometimes she looks so much like her grandmother...

Been in contact with Currie and it won't be too painful. Going to pull the third member in the rear too. Looking forward to the newer profile "O" rings; especially in the rear. I already have Lube Lockers sitting on the shelf. Those and a few 31 spline outers and bearings.

Definitely a much easier fix than the Calico three link.:roflmao:

Last edited:
Back