• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crushed Cherokee

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Been going to pick n Pull for Cherokee parts, usually Newark, San Jose, or Richmond Calif. yards I scan Row52 website regularly looking for new arrivals. Row52 shows photos of an intact Cherokee body, yet when I arrive the entire roof is crushed, front to back down the middle, down to the dash. Doors buckled, seats crushed, glass blown out, A total mess. This has happened at least a dozen times, usually the older cherokees, and it has happened at several yards. I have yet to see any other vehicle getting the crushed roof treatment. one time there was a nice roof rack on the cherokee, all intact on Row 52 photo, next day it and roof crushed, then it is placed in the yard. of hundreds of vehicles in the yard, only the Cherokees get crushed like this, evidently upon arrival.

Questions to pick n pull go unanswered.

Is this a rogue employee that hates cherokees, or some crazy state law, it is not as if these vehicles are to be purchased and restored. this crushing makes all the interior useless, doors, glass all ruined. It is really pissing me off, waste of time and money for me.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Maybe cash for clunkers program. The engine must be destroyed first then after a period of time the entire vehicle must b destroyed per an article I read.

Cash for clunkers rigs are long gone at this point.

I've never seen one with a crushed roof in Texas or CA back when I lived there.

Why not ask the yard next time you're there?

It is not the cash for clunkers program causing the cherokees to have the roof crushed. Cash for clunkers allows for these cars to be parted out, but never sold for reregistering them as a driving car again. these wrecking yards have 100s, upon 100s of cars at any given time, yet ONLY the cherokees are found with the roofs caved in, I have asked about buying other cars from the yard, with no roof crushing and have been told they cant sell the car, only parts can be sold because they are cash for clunker cars furthermore some of the crushed roof cherokees could not have been driven in to the yard, driving cars are a requirement for cash for clunkers. some were wrecked in accidents and turned in, not a cash for clunker candidate.

there is more to this than a cash for clunker requirement of the roof being crushed, as there is no such requirement.

it is ONLY cherokees that have received this wasteful treatment. many other vehicles are cash for clunker turn ins, and they do not have the roof crushed.

I have written Pickn Pull head office, asking, now awaiting a reply.

here you can see the Row52 link and photo of the nice looking white cherokee upon arrival, next day it was in the yard, roof crushed lengthwise, down to the dash. This has happened to over a dozen of them, no other vehicle have been seen with a crushed roof or other intentional damage. This yard has many 100s of car in stock at any given time. so sad

https://row52.com/Search/?Year=1984...50&MakeId=155&ModelId=2938&Page=1&IsVin=false

The often stack them one on top of another, even temporarily, in the yard or during transport.

The often stack them one on top of another, even temporarily, in the yard or during transport.

This is not a case of stacking, it is as if hey dropped a long heavy bar lengthwise down the middle of the roof, front to back. These Cherokee are in the yard for picking, often they stay for weeks out in rows, then after a period of time the entire row of vehicles is removed to go to the crusher, smelter. No other vehicles other than cheokees get this treatment (mistreatment).

If he needs to hear from multiple sources let us know.

Sometimes these suits are hard of hearing and it takes a little more noise to get through to them.

It happens here in TX too and I have explained to the store managers at all 4 locations around me that the pre95 do not have air bags at all and I offer to take them to my 93 that I drove there to show them.

Back