• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need alternator,01 xj, meen green?

higgsxjyar

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i need new alternator, have the extra cash to go big. what's the best one to get these days? meen green or is there something better? thanx n sorry for my laziness, figured this would be the easiest way to research this.....

I got mine out of an 04 Durango with the 5.7L. It is a 160 amp alternator.

PM ChuckstrPT (Andy). I think he still has his Mean Green in the garage from his totaled '01.

(IMO) Mean Green's are over priced and easy to blow if you load them much. If you were not have a low battery/voltage problem stick with stock or near stock like the ((Dingo)) or ZJ 150 amper Just get the Mean Green sticker and lie about it, Spend the exta money on BEER.

i put in a powermaster into my 01 when the stock one went. i forget the output... but it was good compared to the stock. for some reason the brackets needed a little negotiating even though it said it was a direct bolt on

I had the exact same experience. I believe mine is a 175 amp.

Suposidely the alternator out of a 98 Grand Cherokee is 136 amp and is pretty much a bolt in to the XJ. Not sure if the motor matters though! 4.0, 4.7? Dunno..

I heard that the ZJ alternators were always either 90 amp (mainly) or rarely 120 amp. Which is the same as XJ, you could have got them with a 120 amp.

That would be an upgrade yes, but 136 amp is more desirable. 117 is less than 30 amps over the stock 90 amp. So basically it can supply 2 100 watt KC Daylighters and that's it.

Suposidely the alternator out of a 98 Grand Cherokee is 136 amp and is pretty much a bolt in to the XJ. Not sure if the motor matters though! 4.0, 4.7? Dunno..

I heard that the ZJ alternators were always either 90 amp (mainly) or rarely 120 amp. Which is the same as XJ, you could have got them with a 120 amp.

i had a spare 5.9zj alt when i had a 5.9.......seems like it was a little different,maybe my memory is bad. have the cash, want sexy new....

Back