• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Cruise Control to a non-CC equipped XJ?

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

My 2001 Sport doesn't have CC, and I would really like to add it for the convenience factor on longer trips.

Has anyone attempted this, or does anyone know exactly what parts would be required to retrofit CC on a non-CC car? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

My 2001 didn't have cruise control either. I bought a complete kit of OEM parts from a trader on Ebay (in the USA). It was fairly straight forward install. The steering wheel had to come off to change the clock spring module and all the necessary wiring was already in my Jeep. My XJ is RHD, I don't know if it was just export models that were prewired or if they all were.

My 98 was prewired as well, I don't see why yours wouldn't. I think the only change is that the switches which install on the steering wheel are year specific. Either you use the 97-98 switches or you use the 99+ switches. This was seriously one of the easiest and best upgrades I've done to my XJ.

I have a 99, and bought the Audiovox cruise control off Amazon for 84 bucks. Install was easy, did not have to take the wheel off or anything. DO NOT use the magnets on the driveshafts, did not work. Hooked on the VSS wire, works great, been about a year now, no problems at all. I read about some people's not working, but they have a year warranty and will give you another one. I am very pleased.

dude it was a piece of cake. The hardest thing is honestly changing out the clockspring to to accomodate to the cruise switches. Make sure you let the airbag system discharge for at least 10 minutes before taking this on.

You will need the actuator, the clockspring, and the buttons.

only the 99-01 buttons will work, pre 96 actuators will have a different plug(though you can splice it in) and only 97-01 clocksprings will work.

Back