• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mean Green Alternator

KinesthesiaDrums

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, so i bought a '99 a while back to replace my 1990 cause i'm tired of paying to keep it running as opposed to paying to make it better, ha.

BUT, sometime over the summer (i was working on a cruise ship) the alternator went out and took my yellow-top with it, so i got a Mean-Green high output and another yellow-top when i came back in August. a month later i decided to hell with keeping this thing running....

well, the alternators between the two years are not interchangeable....so instead of just leaving it on the heep, i'd like to make a little bit of money back for it.

the thing still looks brand new, was daily driven for a few weeks, and took one trip to Savannah, GA (500-ish each way). and since i got the 1999 its basically been sitting....so it's pretty much new.

it'll work on a 1987-1990 XJ/MJ or i guess any 4.0.

the only "catch" is that i want your WORKING stock alternator....

so...i'm asking $250 + your WORKING stock.

i shopped for months, and the cheapest i could find this thing (new) was $350 + shipping.
most wanted at least $365 + shipping...

i am located in Knoxville, TN and will ship anywhere. i'll be shipping through my shop, so it won't be painful at all (i just shipped a 100lb speaker box to WA for $35)
i don't know the exact weight so i can't really give you any ballpark figures...

Will this work on a 92....if so, I am willing to swap you!

KinesthesiaDrums said:
hey guys, so i bought a '99 a while back to replace my 1990 cause i'm tired of paying to keep it running as opposed to paying to make it better, ha.

BUT, sometime over the summer (i was working on a cruise ship) the alternator went out and took my yellow-top with it, so i got a Mean-Green high output and another yellow-top when i came back in August. a month later i decided to hell with keeping this thing running....

well, the alternators between the two years are not interchangeable....so instead of just leaving it on the heep, i'd like to make a little bit of money back for it.

the thing still looks brand new, was daily driven for a few weeks, and took one trip to Savannah, GA (500-ish each way). and since i got the 1999 its basically been sitting....so it's pretty much new.

it'll work on a 1987-1990 XJ/MJ or i guess any 4.0.

the only "catch" is that i want your WORKING stock alternator....

so...i'm asking $250 + your WORKING stock.

i shopped for months, and the cheapest i could find this thing (new) was $350 + shipping.
most wanted at least $365 + shipping...

i am located in Knoxville, TN and will ship anywhere. i'll be shipping through my shop, so it won't be painful at all (i just shipped a 100lb speaker box to WA for $35)
i don't know the exact weight so i can't really give you any ballpark figures...

you'd think so...but it can't ever be that easy...

mean green offers 3 different part numbers for 3 different year categories-
'87-'90
'91-'98
'99-'01

so, my assumption was it won't be an exact swap...
i started a thread a while ago when i got my '99 to see if it was possible to swap after i saw MG offered different part numbers.
as far as '90-'92...here's the only info i got-

1984-1986 - Delco SI (Internal Regulator)
1987-1990 - Delco CS-130 (Internal Regulator)
1991-up - Nippondenso. (External Regulator in PCM)

i saw some writeups somewhere where people had mounted a regulator on the outside of their alternator so they could use newer model alternators....but honestly, i don't want to deal with all that for just throwing a stock back in to sell it all.....

Used altenator from JY around here is about $25-35. Sell it outright and save the other party having to ship a used one to you.

i had considered that, but hadn't run any prices *shrugs*
if they are that cheap, i'll just do that, haha

and whats a "JY"?

JY: junkyard

oh.
ha.
not sure how i never heard that one before....
i was thinking a "TJ/YJ" typo or somethin...

Back