• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No defrost

DieselAirman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 SE, went to use the defrosters the other day, all kinds of fan noise in all speeds, but nothing coming out. It will switch from the dash to the floor positions with no problem, but no defrost. I read about all kinds of AC problems and Heat, but no defrost. I'm open for sugestions.

Sounds like the problem I had. Finally tracked it down to a vaccum which is located under the right headlight. The hose was severed at some point, I just wrapped it in duct tape and it was good to go.
Hope that helps

I 2nd that statment..

EDIT: I retract my 2nd! Now that he says it sidriptide is right. Mine did only blow defrost when it lost vaccum.

Last edited:
i will disagree... i belive the ducting defaults to defrost when it loses vacuum. (though never had the problem first-hand) you may have a problem up under the dash.

If hes getting noise with all fan speeds it is possible the motor is spinning but the fan blades are broken? Or somehow detached from the motor so they aren't actually spinning with it?

The blower is working fine, its just not getting any air to the windshield. Found something on one of the other forums about a defroster door actuator. This guys problem sounds exactly like what I have going on. So I plan on digging into it this weekend.

After lowering the steering colum to see what was back there, I couldn't get the wiring harness disconnected so I could get a better look. I then took the radio out to see what was back there and noticed the actuator rod coming down the side of the heater box. on closer examination it was connected to a sleve that went into the box. It didn't look right, it looked like it was out to far. I stuck my hand in there and forced the sleve back into the box and it seemed to click onto something. I started it up and worked the defrost switch. Problem fixed. Check this out first if you have the same problem.

Back