• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear spring bolt/rock sliders

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
I'm looking at mounting up some Rock sliders, and already have some chassis stiffeners welded in (and what a difference that made on a truck with only 80k on it!). The chassis stiffeners bolt up with the front rear spring bolt. Looking at things, it looks like a rock slider will cover the access to the rear spring bolt? Am I worried about nothing? or do the rock sliders go that far back?
Thanks!

ChuckstrPT said:
I'm looking at mounting up some Rock sliders, and already have some chassis stiffeners welded in (and what a difference that made on a truck with only 80k on it!). The chassis stiffeners bolt up with the front rear spring bolt. Looking at things, it looks like a rock slider will cover the access to the rear spring bolt? Am I worried about nothing? or do the rock sliders go that far back?
Thanks!
I don't like the designs that hookup the rails to the spring bolt. If you really land on it you can cause some damage. Bolt the legs to the frame rail, sleeve the frame rail (for the bolts) and you're good to go.

I have AJ's off road armor super rails. They have 4 or five mounting bolts on the pinch seam, 8 mounts from the two legs going to the frame, One of thouse holes being bolte through the front of the spring pertch. There is no interference with the leaf mounting bolt, and the rear leg butts up right against the pertch.
They are made of 3/16" box steel with 3/16" wall tubing for a step and extra protection. They definetly stiffened up my XJ and look awsome with a coat of rhino lining, and not a bad price either.

Kejtar said:
I don't like the designs that hookup the rails to the spring bolt. If you really land on it you can cause some damage. Bolt the legs to the frame rail, sleeve the frame rail (for the bolts) and you're good to go.
ok, you missed something in there. I've already got the T&J Chassis Stiffeners mounted. These bolt up with the front rear spring bolt. They are in the way of bolting up some rock rails to the frame. I'm going to have to weld the rock rails onto the tube from the chassis stiffeners. The question was don't the standard rock rails block access to the front rear spring bolt? It looks like if I mount up some rock rails, good and tight to the body, I will no longer be able to reach the front spring bolt with an impact gun, or even a rachet for that matter. Or do I need to just stop the rock rails short of covering the bolt access? Meaning not as far back towards the rear wheel well??
Thanks for the input!

ps. how's the OC doing? I'm an OCC grad, as well as SFSU, and COMP.....hmmm :laugh3:

ChuckstrPT said:
ok, you missed something in there. I've already got the T&J Chassis Stiffeners mounted. These bolt up with the front rear spring bolt.
I saw that. THe think with the stiffeners is that the likelyhood of you landing on them is very slim, while the likelyhood of landing on the rockrails is very big.

They are in the way of bolting up some rock rails to the frame. I'm going to have to weld the rock rails onto the tube from the chassis stiffeners.
Is there a creative way maybe to work around that? Move the mounts on the rockrails to go over or under the stiffener?
The question was don't the standard rock rails block access to the front rear spring bolt?
What's a standard rock rail? It's whatever you make it. My rockrails don't get nowhere near close blocking the access to it.

It looks like if I mount up some rock rails, good and tight to the body, I will no longer be able to reach the front spring bolt with an impact gun, or even a rachet for that matter. Or do I need to just stop the rock rails short of covering the bolt access? Meaning not as far back towards the rear wheel well??
Take a look at this. I can try and take some pics for you Fri (I might be able to get around to it tomorrow), but I got my rockrails mounted pretty good and I still got access to the bolts.
how's the OC doing? I'm an OCC grad, as well as SFSU, and COMP.....hmmm :laugh3:
OC is doing pretty good. Property values are going up, traffic is getting worse and houses are slidng downhill :D
I took a fair number of classes at OCC and for a while I even sailed from the OCC dock on lidos and shields.

Kejtar said:
Take a look at this. I can try and take some pics for you Fri (I might be able to get around to it tomorrow), but I got my rockrails mounted pretty good and I still got access to the bolts.
looking at the second to last photo, the pic with the spring bolt in the upper left corner of the pic. That, I think is my problem. That bolt is now inside a tube (the mount for the chassis stiffeners). In order to get at it, I have to come straight in. I won't be able to get a wrench on it. At this point, I've got a buddy in my club fab'in me up some rock rails patterned after JKS/ORGS SuperNerfs. I think I'll have to shorten the main rail so that it won't go as far back as the spring bolt? That sound about right?
Those chassis stiffeners seem pretty stout. I'm thinking just welding the mounts for the rock rails directly to them, with some gussets of course. Think that will be strong enough? I'm not planning on huge lift, so I do want Strong protection!
Thanks
ps. I need to send you some of this stinkin humidity from 'bama..... :wave:

ChuckstrPT said:
Those chassis stiffeners seem pretty stout. I'm thinking just welding the mounts for the rock rails directly to them, with some gussets of course. Think that will be strong enough? I'm not planning on huge lift, so I do want Strong protection!:

Hmmm I would be hesitant about mounting the two to each other as if you land on a stout rockrail which doesn't give which would then transfer the force to the stout stiffener it might damage the not so stout hanger. Does that make sense?

Kejtar said:
Hmmm I would be hesitant about mounting the two to each other as if you land on a stout rockrail which doesn't give which would then transfer the force to the stout stiffener it might damage the not so stout hanger. Does that make sense?

I was considering mounting the T&J stiffeners to my ride, but also would like a stout set of rock rails (my rocker panels are beat to sh*t)... but I was worried about exactly what you mentioned.

I worry that one will interfere with the proper function of the other, so now I'm wondering if I'm gonna have to fab a complete unit which performs both tasks.

DJ

"If we maintain our Faith in God, Love of Freedom, and Superior Global Air Power, the future [of the US] looks good." -Gen. Curtis LeMay

Kejtar said:
I hear ya. But the Chassis Stiffeners are pretty stout, and mounted really well. They are basically part of the chassis now. The tubular part bolts up to the suspension mouting points. But then there is the "skid plate" part that is also bolted to the bottom of the "frame" rail at a couple locations and Welded along the outer edge to the tubular part, and the inner edge to the "frame" rail. I really don't think it is going anywhere. And it made a huge difference in the squeeks and groans in the chassis. There are none anymore. It was so different after the install my WIFE noticed it! Go figure! I'm going to try to post some pics, but I haven't had much luck lately. Here is the address where the pics are http://www.freewebs.com/chuckstrpt/theheep.htm
and I'll try the pics!
chassis%20stiffeners%20002.jpg
Rear Mount
chassis%20stiffeners%20003.jpg
Drivers side
It's pretty hard to see in the pics, but the bottom skid covers the entire width of the psuedo frame rail.
I would rec the Chassis Stiffeners. They made a huge difference.

these are revered to be the best sliders in the business - at least by me, and they mount to a welded on frame stiffener - dont see how custom sliders wouldnt work here welded to your t+J stiffeners....

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjrokslyders.php

Back