• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving the alternator up.

Spanky414

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen another thread about this but I can't find it with the search for some reason now. There was a couple ideas and a link to a pic of an engine with the self tensioner and the alt up at the top on the passanger side and the A/C compressor down on the drivers side under the exhaust manifold.

I really wouldn't mind setting my older engine like that and want to know what year that engine is and see if I can retrofit mine like that from scrap yard parts.

If anyone can find it can you post a link or your own ideas for moving the alt up?

Thanks.

i've been looking forever to do this

i heard that TJ's have their alt's at the top of the engine, maybee use the stock bracket??

i dont even have AC/ theres got to be a way just to plop the ALt in it's spot

serpentine2_40.jpg

Here we go, it also uses a different water pump with a slightly different exit direction, and you lose your mechanical fan (not that it bothers all of us).

Its really quite different but its a start.

Here is another one.

dsc00010.jpg

TJ? Its still below the A/C but up where the mech fan is in the XJ so its at least a bit higher and doesn't require a new water pump and A/C bracket, just something to replace the current fan mount with a mount for the Alt.

Then it looks like the fan is run off the water pump, wouldn't that be really hard on the water pump bearing though or is the TJ water pump beefed up more?

Last edited:
I was working on a 01 or 02 TJ couple of months ago and the A/C compressor was on the bottom and the alt was on top, from the factory. All else was the same..

Yes they do, the reason 4.0 xj's arn't run off the water pump is because there isn't enough room for a fan between the water pump and the radator [the whole "4.0 was never ment for the xj" thing]. Wranglers and zj's have more room under the hood so they can do this. Most V8 engines have the fan off the water pump too.

Are you sure that was the reason? Cause the mechanical fan pully and the water pump pully are both driving by the serp belt and so are both at the same plane, in other words they both stick out the front pretty much the same don't they?

Another problem with all these setups is the A/C compressor is bolted on different, it looks like the actual compressor is a slightly different model.

Yep I took a peep under the hood and the mount for the fan actually sticks out more then the water pump, if it was bolted to the water pump there would actually be more room between the fan and the rad. I'm thinking they put it off to one side so they could run the extra electric cooling fan on the other side for A/C users.

Back