• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sweet smell, defrost doesn't defrost and A/C blows hot...

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Im think I'm facing multiple issues here, but I thought I would ask for opinions before I jump to cunclusions and/or take my '00 XJ in for diagnosis.

About this time last year, my A/C started occasionally blowing hot air. It would only last a few minutes, so I put off dealing with it as I knew it wouldn't be terribly hot for too much longer. I never did actually have it looked at though and now it doesn't blow cold at all. So, I figured I would just have it recharged and dyed to find the source of the leak.

Earlier this year, I also noticed that my defrost wasn't working very well and I would occaionally get that sweet smell of anti-freeze in the cabin. Most likely the heater core from what I've seen so far. Not an easy fix...

Anyway, is there any chance these issues are related?

Not really related. But if you open it all up for a new heater core, you probably want to replace the AC equivalent of the heater core, which is the evaporator. They are also prone to leakage due to corrosion.

Back