• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Started my 4.7 Stroker build today.

The engine is in, and I have been driving it around. I have only about 100 miles on it right now. I am still waiting to get it tuned. When I re-installed it I put on the ZJ fan clutch, which is loud as hell and I think is robbing some power. I'll post pics and numbers once I get it in and tuned!

The engine is in, and I have been driving it around. I have only about 100 miles on it right now. I am still waiting to get it tuned. When I re-installed it I put on the ZJ fan clutch, which is loud as hell and I think is robbing some power. I'll post pics and numbers once I get it in and tuned!

Awesome, looking forward to it.

I got the XJ with the stroker on the Dyno yesterday to do some tuning. First thing we found out was that my fuel pump wasn’t working up to par, so even with the injectors at 100%, it was leaning out. Next task is installing a new fuel pump! We were not able to really bump timing because of the lean condition, but we did get some data. Best run with the old engine was 147hp, best run with the Stroker with the limitations was 212hp. Some interesting tidbits, we found that we gained 5hp with the bbk 62mm throttle body over the stock throttle body. We tested both with the THOR intake attached and disconnected and lost power with the intake disconnected. Once I get the fuel pump swapped out we can get back to tuning. Right now I am also running the ZJ fan clutch, so next time I am gong to test ZJ fan clutch vs stock fan clutch to see if there is really a substantial measurable power loss.

83EDA2BD-FAB8-4CDB-9F2E-E3B880DA047A.jpeg

I got the XJ with the stroker on the Dyno yesterday to do some tuning. First thing we found out was that my fuel pump wasn’t working up to par, so even with the injectors at 100%, it was leaning out. Next task is installing a new fuel pump! We were not able to really bump timing because of the lean condition, but we did get some data. Best run with the old engine was 147hp, best run with the Stroker with the limitations was 212hp. Some interesting tidbits, we found that we gained 5hp with the bbk 62mm throttle body over the stock throttle body. We tested both with the THOR intake attached and disconnected and lost power with the intake disconnected. Once I get the fuel pump swapped out we can get back to tuning. Right now I am also running the ZJ fan clutch, so next time I am gong to test ZJ fan clutch vs stock fan clutch to see if there is really a substantial measurable power loss.

83EDA2BD-FAB8-4CDB-9F2E-E3B880DA047A.jpeg

Do plan to replace with an OEM unit? Did you make any pulls with a factory air box versus the THOR?

Thank you for the update.

I will be watching for the updates as I hope to be following this same path in the not-too-distant future. Tuning will be a challenge for me as I doubt there is anyone around here who can do it right. I will need to travel, and a good baseline to get started will be important.

Glad to hear the thor didn't restrict power! When you get side by side dino sheets that would be something to really geek out on in my book! 😁 You and cal have 2 of the best looking/built xj's I've seen

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does it feel like it has more power.

Anak id be glad to tune it if my smarty plugs in. Lol kidding

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Those are still some good numbers, what does your exhaust system consist of?

Those are still some good numbers, what does your exhaust system consist of?

Ron, I am running the banks headers, but right now everything else is stock. I am planning on going to at least a 2.5" in the future. I talked to Russ last night and he had a customer with basically the same setup as Cal and I and they put out 266/RWHP and 312/TQ on the dyno, so I think I have some room to go up some.

Ron, I am running the banks headers, but right now everything else is stock. I am planning on going to at least a 2.5" in the future. I talked to Russ last night and he had a customer with basically the same setup as Cal and I and they put out 266/RWHP and 312/TQ on the dyno, so I think I have some room to go up some.

What model Banks is what I was really asking about?

Ok that makes some sense, I was thinking about his earlier pic of the head and noticed no chem mark around the exhaust ports.
B91AE7B2_E4FE_4822_B4F0_3B6193AAFA70.jpeg

When Russ did mine it was for a Banks Revolver.
P1080516_zpsybaiiwn0.jpg

The flange is the same on both.

The Edlebrock head requires less work on the exhaust ports.

First question is what intake manifold are you using? 99+ Intake or an older one? Ported or not? Thanks for the comparison of the Stock TB to the BBK. I have run a stock, stock bore to 60mm and a BBK 62mm on a stock motor. This is with a 2.5" exhaust and 99+ intake manifold. I notice improvements as to drivability on grade inclines.
I am taking it as your dyno results are from a chassis dyno. Any chance of doing a dyno with the Power Tech intake from a 99-04 WJ? I plan to swap one in to an XJ. It would be a while till a get to that and make some runs.

First question is what intake manifold are you using? 99+ Intake or an older one? Ported or not? Thanks for the comparison of the Stock TB to the BBK. I have run a stock, stock bore to 60mm and a BBK 62mm on a stock motor. This is with a 2.5" exhaust and 99+ intake manifold. I notice improvements as to drivability on grade inclines.
I am taking it as your dyno results are from a chassis dyno. Any chance of doing a dyno with the Power Tech intake from a 99-04 WJ? I plan to swap one in to an XJ. It would be a while till a get to that and make some runs.

The intake is a ported 2000 XJ intake, so I believe it is the same intake as the 4.0 WJ intake. The intake has had both the throttle body port as well as the intake port opened up. Since the intake is such a pain in the ass to put on, I don't see myself removing it anytime soon and testing other configs/

66797632-97E6-4865-AA11-E0A950BBECBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Not to mention Russ does top notch work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back