• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Miller Jeep Trail recovery run status

Xjman1

NAXJA Forum User
Well just thought I would throw a quick post about the recovery run yesterday. We had about 20 vehicles and went in from both directions so we could do a trash detail as well. Hauled out quite a bit of trash but not as much as expected, kinda sad that we expected more. Either way we got up to the "Recovery vehicle" that was about 1/3 of the way up Millers and found the tires could not be mounted, because someone stole the wheel bearings and assembly. Out came the generator and sawsall and the choping began. We cut the cab off, bed off, frame in half, cab in half front clip off, etc. All in all everythign is up except the front half with the engine, tranny and transfer case still in it. Plan is to go back with an axle, weld a reciever on it, and trailer it out like we did the back half.
My little XJ was full with about 1/4 of the Dodge in the back it seemed and the tailgate strapped accross the roof. Looked like those large wings that everyone runs on the Hondas nowadays. All in all the run went rather well and even strapped a ZJ up the "V" notch since his buddys Tocoma could not move him.
Sorry no pics as I forgot my camera.
Most fun I have had in a while and feels good doing the right thing. Matt also rode along with me since his vacuum lines broke and he could not engage 4wd. I think he is ready to run it now.

Im glad you guys got some photos. It was fun riding along. Hopefully I will have no problems next time and can join in on the final clean up run.

Last edited:
What happens with the left over parts and pieces? Do they get returned to the rightful owners or what?

If the recovery driver was not in such bad shape i'd dump the parts on his front lawn. I think you should all take them to the ranger drivers yard.

-Scott

According to the Forest Service they are to have the parts picked up. Not sure if they bill the owners insurance company or what? Funny thing is the Forest Service received a call from the Ranger owner and he told them that if it was vandalized he did not want it. Wonder if he went to see it and then burned it for insurance reasons, hmmmm? Either way it is really sad and I hope this trail does not turn into a dumping ground for stolen vehicles as the first ram was.

Back