• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve cover gasket?

Felpro makes 3, cork, cork and rubber and rubber. They can be mite pricey.

Is the rubber the way to go? I know from experience that cork gaskets arent worth it. Anyone just use rtv as a gasket? If not how much is this rubber gasket you are talking about?

The rubber is about $50 or so. It's reusable. Plain old RTV, nope, take a look at the gasket, it has sandwiched steel between the top and bottom with cross pieces that keep the gasket from spreading, at least thats what I was told the cross pieces were for, makes sense, thats a long motor.

ajeeperwannabe said:
What's wrong with cork? I used it a year ago with RTV and no problems yet.

The cork is like $25 or $27 and a one shot deal. You should not need RTV on a thick cork gasket.

On my 87 I had no problem using cork with a little coat of gasket sealer, as long as I remembered to check the bolts every once in a while and tighten them up. for some reason especially the rear ones always seem to loosen.

No problems with cork and gasket sealer here as well. I only put the gasket sealer on the bottom that way when the valve cover comes off the gasket stays put. They say to replace it every time but i've never had any problems reusing it. Usually check the bolts when changing the oil. Always make sure I check/tighten from the centre out as if was torquing down a new gasket for the first time.

Historically with the high performance V8's I've owned, all had solid lifters so the covers came off 3-5 times a year for adjustments. I always used the cork/rubber type, didn't seem to prone to falling apart, then I switched to rubber and stopped gluing one side to the valve cover. The cork ones I guess are good if you don't plan on taking it apart in the forseeable future. Just an old habit...

Green95XJ, I'm guessing from your handle that you're getting this for a '95 valve cover? If so, '94-'96 (and other years I'm assuming ... but I know for sure on those years as I have that FSM) the stock valve cover gasket is a pre-molded-in RTV that is not replaceable. In other words, don't use a gasket on it unless you're replacing the valve cover itself. The FSM will have you inspect the seal for cracks and if found, just lightly fill the crack with RTV. Otherwise, it's reusable as long as you don't have cracks. Make sure you torque the bolts to spec and evenly. If its leaking now, it's most likely just not torqued properly.

The gasket you want to use is Fel Pro part# VS50522T

It's their "problem solver" line of gaskets and it is the steel shim sandwiched silicone gasket. I've used many of them and they're awesome... but close to $50.

John

i just replaced mine with a cork gasket all i added was a light bead of RTV but heres a hint, remove your rad. hoses when you take the gaskets out and clean out the snorkles out wail you have it out!!
-Keep Jeepin

Back