• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift struts frozen?

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Rear hatch lift struts frozen?

Hey ... this is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

I just bought new lift struts for the rear hatch on my XJ, and they seem to have completely freezed up. I took them out of the package, and can't move them at all. Can't compress them, can't extend them.

They have arrived fully extended, and I've put about 150 lbs on them trying to compress them, and nothing doing.

They are Strong Arm brand gas-filled struts, and they've both been frozen since they arrived. No luck at all.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Re: Rear hatch lift struts frozen?

montanaman said:
Hey ... this is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

I just bought new lift struts for the rear hatch on my XJ, and they seem to have completely freezed up. I took them out of the package, and can't move them at all. Can't compress them, can't extend them.

They have arrived fully extended, and I've put about 150 lbs on them trying to compress them, and nothing doing.

They are Strong Arm brand gas-filled struts, and they've both been frozen since they arrived. No luck at all.

Am I missing something?
Just why are you trying to compress them? Just put them on.

Yes, they are holding a ton of weight (not literally). Try holding the gate up where the struts clip on half way into the door instead of the end with out any lift struts. There is a lot of weight/leverage at the point. Throw them on, they will compress.

man that could have got ugly

good job

Imagine......going to the ER with a strut stickin outta ya butt.....and explain to the Drs n Nurses n Paramedics n janitors n anybody else HOW it got there :roflmao: :roflmao:

montanaman said:
yeah ... it wasn't until after I posted that message that I realized just how silly that sounded. Time to get a new login name ... LOL
With a name like montanaman you just had to prove you could compress those little struts huh?
Did you ever install them?

langer1 said:
With a name like montanaman you just had to prove you could compress those little struts huh?
Did you ever install them?
I think the question should not be if he ever installed them as given what has transpired that is a little bit vague. It should be have they made it to the hatch :D

Not installed yet ... today's high temp was about 8 degrees Farenheit, so i didn't want to bother with it ... spent all day watching Minnesota lose, Redskins win, and Atlanta lose, which puts the Skins in the #2 position in the NFC wildcard race.

I'd gladly take a hit in the head from the rear hatch if the Skins make it to post-season!!

Next week should get up around the freezing mark, so I'll prolly install the the new lifts then.

Back