• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof supports?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
While installing a wilson antenna I pulled the headliner all the way out. When I did that i noticed the support to the roof has a gap between it and the roof. I am wondering what I should do to get them back together. Should I just get some expanding foam or try to get some seam sealer from a auto body place and push the support back up to the roof and wait for it to harden. I can push the support back up but I need something to hold it in place.

-Mike

Mike L said:
While installing a wilson antenna I pulled the headliner all the way out. When I did that i noticed the support to the roof has a gap between it and the roof. I am wondering what I should do to get them back together. Should I just get some expanding foam or try to get some seam sealer from a auto body place and push the support back up to the roof and wait for it to harden. I can push the support back up but I need something to hold it in place.

-Mike
Are you sure it's not supposed to be like that? Most I've seen have a gap, I think as a air space.

langer1 said:
Are you sure it's not supposed to be like that? Most I've seen have a gap, I think as a air space.

Ther rear one has (what looks like) seam sealer or some kind of puddy. If I can find my camera i can take some pics of what I am talking about.

-Mike

hand_half.jpg
Mike L said:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gotboost562/album?.dir=/185e&.src=ph are some pics of what I am talking about. You can see the difference between the 2. In the last one I am pushing it up flush with the roof so all I would need (I think) is something to hold it in that position.

-Mike
Get yourself some Gorilla glue and glue it back up.

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily glue it - it may not have been designed to go up there (I haven't pulled a headliner yet,) and if it isn't, then pushing it out of alignment may not be doing you any favours.

If it's got a little flex to it, then it's probably in its "natural" position and should stay there. If it feels strained, it's a good idea to find out why.

If it's in its "natural" position, the most I'd do would be to put some Neoprene sheeting or some expanding foam in between the support and the roof (the roof is a "shear panel" in this application, and helps the roof halo hold its shape. The support is a crossbeam, and designed to make it a little more rigid) to make sure that the support stays put and that the two parts don't decide to start bumping together for some reason.

Of course (and I may be missing this in the pix - I prefer to take a more direct view whenever possible...) if there is any residue of adhesive or weld left from earlier, then it should be tacked back into place. I don't know if GG will do the job (has anyone tried?) but there are some "body shop" adhesives out there that can be used for non-structural repairs like this. I wouldn't use glue to stick a fender back on (although there was talk of using Velcro on Corvettes years ago...) but it will work for sticking one part to another. Why not GG? I don't know how flexible it is, and that application would certainly want to allow for some flexion...

5-90

You can see the adhesive leftover on both the roof and the support. That is why i was asking what is best used to put it back. I'm sure what caused this was the fact I carried a mattress on the roof w/o a roof rack about 5 years ago when I first got the Cherokee. Oh well.

-Mike

It looks like something heavy was put on the roof which bent the support slightly and the roof went back up. Don't know why the beer can sheet metal would go back up but it kinda looks like it.

Back