• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hatch struts...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
My '98 needs 'em, NAPA/Balkamp about $30 each, no-name off the shelf about $20. Always had great luck with NAPA parts, should I go with 'em?

TIA

Mike #300

I'm happy with the ~$15 autozone strut I put in mine. I only had to replace one of them, even though the door wouldn't hold itself open at all.

ZmOz said:
I'm happy with the ~$15 autozone strut I put in mine. I only had to replace one of them, even though the door wouldn't hold itself open at all.
Same here. $15 CarQuest struts worked fine.

I want to find some heavier duty or some with a wider temp range. Mine drop my hatch on my head when the weather gets cold (ie 7am in the desert at my in-laws house...). Any ideas?

BlackSport96 said:
I want to find some heavier duty or some with a wider temp range. Mine drop my hatch on my head when the weather gets cold (ie 7am in the desert at my in-laws house...). Any ideas?

They are probably just old and tired and I would bet any new replacment would work. My stock ones work in neg 35 cel weather but they are a little slow all year round compared to some friends.

Just by some replacments and return them if they arn't to your liking.

I'm not sure I want to go with oem. My girlsfriend's hood struts on her Camry lasted almost ten years and the car isn't even garaged. Mine are gone after only six years, my head will crack open sooner unless I make a decision fast :gee: .

Mike #300

Hi guys,

My struts are showing their age as well - how do you get them off their mountings ? Is it a bolt-on bolt-off thing, or more involved ?

Thx,
Quarterwave

Mine went out and I just use a pair of visgrips. Clamp those baby's down on one of the shock and it aint coming down :laugh3:

Should be a little pin in the back of the socket that you can remove, and then just pry off of the ball.

Fred

Quarterwave said:
Hi guys,

My struts are showing their age as well - how do you get them off their mountings ? Is it a bolt-on bolt-off thing, or more involved ?

Thx,
Quarterwave

Pull silver pins out of both ends and pull the struts straight off the "ball joints". Its simple. I just bought an aftermarket pair that uses clips to secure one side instead of the ball in socket design like the original. They stink. I've already broken a clip trying to tighten it because the strut kept slipping off....now its unuseable

Before shelling out $$$ for two struts, try to determine if they are both bad. The rear hatch is heavy enough that if one strut is bad, the hatch will fall.

Back