• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 3" Lift ???

Scott Williams

NAXJA Forum User
OK, it just dawned on me to ask this on here... I've posted several times about my driveline vibes since I installed a Rusty's 3" lift with full spring pack in the rear (which Rusty later told me was really a 3.5"). Anyway, I was thinking about it tonight while driving and hearing the vibes, I remember that there was a code listed on the rear springs in white lettering when we put them on. I remember that the last two letters of the code were "45", so I called Rusty and asked if they had mistakenly sent me 4.5" springs... they said no. Any of you that have either the 3.5" or 4.5" springs from Rusty's, do you know what the "code" listed on your springs is? I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can read it, (it's night here now...) and post it on here, but I just thought I'd ask.
TIA

I have the same leaves. And you are right they are way higher than I thought. It is still at almost 4" after a year. Crazy to think that people had sag problems...

To answer your question, I actually think mine had the number '2' on them. But then again, I bought mine in june 2001. I called him on it also, but I think thats just the way he numbers them! Later JTS

You have a newer XJ. I've heard of problems with vibes with BB's on new XJ. It's not that the springs are too tall, it just your current driveshaft/output configuration. A price you have to pay for your updated interiour and sleeker body.

rustys springs

I just installed a rustys 4.5 inch lift with spring paks and I will let you knoe tomorrow what is written on them!

OK, so I'm wrong... I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking. The number printed on the springs is: "ROPXJ35-0" which makes perfect sense. I still think the rear is too high, mainly in the looks department... The vibes are driving me nuts, but I'll have to deal with it until I can save up some more $$$ to get something done about it...
Anyway, thanks for the posts, and here's another (better) pic... I don't have photoshop at home :(

I *think* it was a 2* shim. I could be wrong... happens a lot lately...
I just got out this afternoon and washed it, and was messing around. I got out the tape measure and discovered something. The passenger side is about 5/8" higher than the drivers side. I don't know what would cause this, surely the drivers side hasn't settled that much in two months... I'm a little overwieght, but hey, not that much... (6.0'/215 lbs.)

Anyway, there's also this. At the front, in the middle of the wheel the bottom of the wheel well the measurement is 34" even. In the back the passenger side is 37" even, and the drivers side is 36 3/8". That's THREE inches difference, and you can tell it just by looking at it... Basically I am not happy with the lift. There is plenty of lift for the tires I've got, but it is uneven and then there's the vibes. If I load the back down with a couple hundred pounds, it lowers down and the vibes disappear. I've got to figure something out...

Did you get the transfer case drop? I think that would solve the vibrations and its only $12.95 plus shipping from rustys. As far as the lift being uneven the shims I recieved for the pinion angle on the rear axle were slightly different thickness but not 5/8 inch! Also whynot enjoy the extra rear leaf lift and put 2" inch spacers on the front too!

Yes I got the 1" TC drop. It helped some with the vibes, but they're not completely gone. I have considered raising the front with spacers, but that still leaves the vibration issue. I don't have the cash for an SYE yet, so I'm kinda undecided about what to do. Having the vibrations suck!

How long has the lift been on? B/c when I first put it on I was riding way high probably like 5". But it did drop down a little so there is a chance that yours may drop a little and the vibes may dampen. But, with all that being said, It seems like you probably will have to go w/ the new driveshaft etc... I is the right way to fix the vibes. Sucks, but true.

good luck Jeremy

Besides that you're the first person i know that claims that the springs have more hight than advertised it is known for leaf springs to "settle" after a few wheelin' trips.

You willl not cure the vibes with anything like shims or a 1" TC drop, the only thing that will help is a SYE.

To reply to the last two posts... I've had the lift on for about two months now, with more than 2000 miles on it. I don't think it's going to "settle" any more.
I have considered going ahead and putting some more lift on the front, and fixing the drivetrain to cure the vibes, but that takes money.

Someone tell me exactly what the SYE does, and who I can talk to locally to get one installed if I order it. I live in the flat lands and there aren't many 4x4 shops around (none, that I know of). Does anybody know of a good shop in Eastern NC???

TIA

Hey man thanks for the link to Down East Offroad. I've heard of them, and even been in Wilson, but didn't have time to look for them. I had not been able to find their website for some reason. I sent them an email to see if they could take a look at it if I get up that way. Where abouts in Eastern NC are you located?

I have had this same lift for about a year now. Take a close look at your U-joints and your angles. Start with the inexpensive things first if you are on a budget. Angle of the u-joint at the pinion must be within 1 or 2 degrees of the u-joint at the transfer case. Use a good angle gauge and measure them carefully. (If you don't have one you can get a good one for about $12 at Sears). I know my springs from Rusty's came with a 3 degree shim. After measuring my angles, I had a difference of about 2-1/2 degrees. I removed the shim and ended up close.

Check condition of U-joints. If you have play, you will never get rid of the vibes without replacing these first. Check to see if the u-joints are bottoming out in the yokes. You increased the drive shaft angle, and there might not be enough movement in the u-joint to accomodate change.

THEN go to more expensive SYE & custom drive shaft fix if neccessary.

Good Luck!

Back