• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix data charts

Lanthanaas

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having an issue with my 89 Cherokee running REALLY rough. There is blue smoke coming out the exhaust and it's idling lower and lower until it's almost sputtering out. One of the mechanics at my work loaned me a diagnostic tool to plug into the pre-OBD computers so I can see if any sensors are out of range or not reading at all. I've been trying to find a data readout chart to match up to the data I'll be getting from the device, but I've only been able to find one or two small sections. Does anybody have or know where to find the full readout chart?

No idea re: charts.

What are your compression numbers?

I'm having an issue with my 89 Cherokee running REALLY rough. There is blue smoke coming out the exhaust and it's idling lower and lower until it's almost sputtering out. One of the mechanics at my work loaned me a diagnostic tool to plug into the pre-OBD computers so I can see if any sensors are out of range or not reading at all. I've been trying to find a data readout chart to match up to the data I'll be getting from the device, but I've only been able to find one or two small sections. Does anybody have or know where to find the full readout chart?

Go into "state displays" where you can read the sensor values. Post the results up.

Well, unfortunately it seems the device I was loaned is for OBD-1 vehicles and not compatible with the Renix. So I'm back to standard trouble shooting. I was at a loss as to where to go next in my investigation (which is why I wanted to see the running values). Any advice?

Symptoms: Running rough, idling low, RPMs drop after revving to the point where the engine dies.

Update: Idling is alright initially. Just after revving high, I can see smoke or exhaust seeping out over the engine. It could be from the exhaust manifold or the fuel injectors. I recently tried to swap out the injectors, but they are stock and o-rings are all in good shape. While crawling around underneath, I found my entire exhaust line is rusting.

Pretty much the only scanner that will help is the SnapOn MT3500 "brick"

What I understand from my research and talking to various mechanics in the area, the pre-OBD vehicles like the RENIX will tell you the real time sensor readings. Since it doesn't store data, there aren't any error codes, but it still has data coming and going. Plugging in is essentially supposed to let you view the data streams. I know where to plug in, I just don't have the device I thought I did. It is designed for vehicles in this era, but it seems specialized for OBD-1. :/

Back