• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar/shackle lubrication

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
1998 XJ 4wd automatic 3.5 lift

So after my lift install I still notice that when it's more than just me in the truck it squeaks over bumps. I'm pretty sure it's the rear sway bar or shackles. The rest is new.

I'm curious on what you all have done to lubricate these. I could just shoot some wd 40 up there and then apply grease but of theres a better way do let me know!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

First isolate the squeak by spraying individual parts down, then tell us what type(material) it is!

First isolate the squeak by spraying individual parts down, then tell us what type(material) it is!
I will do that. I likely wont get back to you u till Sunday. I work 10 hour shifts back to back until then so I wont have a second person in my truck to recreate the noise

A common squeak source after a new lift install, is when the extended shackle sometimes swings back far enough and hits the bumper mount bolts that poke thorough the rear body cross member.

You can see contact points on the shackle and where it hits the bolts. Most of the time, removing the bolts and grinding them down for clearance will suffice.

A common squeak source after a new lift install, is when the extended shackle sometimes swings back far enough and hits the bumper mount bolts that poke thorough the rear body cross member.

You can see contact points on the shackle and where it hits the bolts. Most of the time, removing the bolts and grinding them down for clearance will suffice.

He's running factory shackles!

Stocker shackles. Little stiff in the back but I have better things to spend my money on right now.

So it is indeed the shackles. I bought some of that cheapo super tech spray lube from Walmart and that worked for about an hour. I'd prefer a spray because leaf springs are a pain to remove but anybody have a product they recommend for this?

I saw someone mentioned silicone spray for sway bar. I might try that on shackles but any other recommendations?

When I built a set of "scissor-shackles" for mine originally, I used 2 sets of factory shackles, added poly bushings and made then grease-able.

When I built a set of "scissor-shackles" for mine originally, I used 2 sets of factory shackles, added poly bushings and made then grease-able.
Sounds pretty cool. I will be looking into greasable stuff once I'm ready to replace them. But that wont be for at least 6 months. In the meantime I will be lubing these

Stocker shackles. Little stiff in the back but I have better things to spend my money on right now.

So it is indeed the shackles. I bought some of that cheapo super tech spray lube from Walmart and that worked for about an hour. I'd prefer a spray because leaf springs are a pain to remove but anybody have a product they recommend for this?

I saw someone mentioned silicone spray for sway bar. I might try that on shackles but any other recommendations?

No, not spray, more of a grease. Tried it as the sway bar wouldn't easily rotate on new bushings.

Back