• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower fan only works on high?

Reddleman

NAXJA Forum User
Glad to be back on the board with a new-to-me 1995 2-door auto.

Previous owner did some strange stuff, working it out now.

He had someone look at the blower which was not working, and I'm not sure if they tried to fix the relay or not, but their solution was just to bypass the motor control and put an on/off switch in the dash!

Now I'm glad I have a fan, but is there a way of just splicing in a variable resistor of some kind so I can vary the fan speed?

honestly I would hook back up the stock system.
otherwise you could use a fan controller with an adjustment knob. I wouldn't suggest the resistor route.

with out knowing how your wiring is done (or if it was botched by PO if applicable) I will be assumeing most likely conditions and a stock system in your Jeep

If your blower motor is only opperating on High we can at least rule out the blower motor being bad, so the next thing we should check is the blower motor resister, which is the most likely culprit in this case

honestly I would hook back up the stock system.
otherwise you could use a fan controller with an adjustment knob. I wouldn't suggest the resistor route.

This. The factory system varies the blower motor speed by passing current from the blower switch through a series of resistors anyways, so...

The factory system is bad about melting blower switches though. There's some write-ups floating around about preventing that by installing relays, so if that's an issue for you, do a search. I just deal with my XJ's melting blower switches every year or two. *shrug*

I would agree with blu3fan, try to go back to stock if it isn't destroyed and replace the blower resistor. I had to change mine recently because I had high and low, but nothing in-between. If you are not familiar the resistor is behind the glove box and is mounted in the duct work.

Back