NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Old August 30th, 2019, 22:19
Three-De Off-Road

Moving my old Jeep - questions

I got a house and I need to move my ZJ about 1.1 miles from a storage unit to the new house. Only .7 miles of that is on the road. I can cover the other .4 miles through parking lots.

It has been in storage about 15 months and hasn't started in that time. It has very little gas in it. I parked it with less than 1/8 tank. I also disconnected the battery when I parked it.

So, if I try to jump it and drive it out of the storage unit, should I have any issues? Anything I should do to "prep" it before cranking it over?

I'm kinda thinking about just driving it over to the new house. I can do a bunch of it through parking lots. It isn't licensed or insured and I haven't had it on the road as a DD since June of 2017.

Thoughts?

I also need to get my XJ to the new house out of a storage unit that is 8 miles away. Since it's missing a windshield and isn't licensed or insured I'll trailer that one. But it does run with no issues.
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2006 XK (TOW RIG) 2000 XJ (Project Doppleganger)
Old August 31st, 2019, 03:58
NAXJA Forum User

I've let things sit that long and against better judgement hook a jump box to them and drive them away... Not recommending it, but stating my experience lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old August 31st, 2019, 19:42
NAXJA Member

Most stat have a one time move permit available. CA is about $8.00. Cheaper than getting caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 1st, 2019, 16:16
NAXJA Member

Re: Moving my old Jeep - questions

The legality of driving the vehicle is another issue but my XJ sat for more than 3 years while I was in the Caribbean. When it was time to move it all I did was check all the fluids put air in the tires then drove it 300+ miles up the I-95 highway. I do not see you having a problem unless there was an earlier problem.
Lucky for me, my XJ was neither licensed nor insured at that time.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 09:18
Only Slightly Psychotic

AAA an option?
'87 MJ • 4.0 • AW4 • 231 • Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter President
Old September 2nd, 2019, 09:20
Only Slightly Psychotic

Back in the day we used to use chain to tow vehicles around. The trick to keeping legal was running the chain through a steel pipe between the two vehicles. Snug everything up and it's just about like having a regular tow bar.
'87 MJ • 4.0 • AW4 • 231 • Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter President
Old September 2nd, 2019, 11:57
Sarge <3 Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Back in the day we used to use chain to tow vehicles around. The trick to keeping legal was running the chain through a steel pipe between the two vehicles. Snug everything up and it's just about like having a regular tow bar.
Still not legal at least in CA. If a vehicle is not registered, it cannot be moved with the tires touching the ground. In other words no towing with the chain, rope, strap, or even a tow dolly.

To the OP, if you do decide to try to drive it… be sure to wash it first, don't make it obvious that it's been in storage for years.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 12:35
Three-De Off-Road

I followed up on Coach Bruce's suggestion and found that TN also offers that service. I'm going to go fetch a temp permit for it this week.

I was more curious about the mechanics of firing it up and driving it for 5 minutes, by the legality discussion has been fruitful as well.
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2006 XK (TOW RIG) 2000 XJ (Project Doppleganger)