• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do i get a leaf spring bolt out,

92XJR3D

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i am doing my lift on my xj, the drivers side front eye on the leaf bolt seized up, i cut the leaf spring out, i got the eye out by cutting it out, i cut the bushing out too, but now i am getting ready to cut the bolt but i looked inside and the weldnut is free, is spinning around, how do i fix this? do i need to cut a hole out from the inside or what? pics would be great also on how to do so, i need to get this done today :) thanks

If you don't have a flame wrench, get one.

I drill a small hole (maybe 1/4") into the pocket where the weld nut resides.

I then stick the flame wrench towards the hole to get the weld nut cherry red.

Then use an impact to break it free. Works like a charm every time and I've done a couple lifts living in the rust belt. Even torching shock bolts helps them come out without a problem.

Use the Mapp+Oxygen tanks that you can buy at a Home Depot with the valving to tie them together. It's all that I use.

Everyone that breaks bolts has probably never used a torch on them.

If you don't have a flame wrench, get one.

I drill a small hole (maybe 1/4") into the pocket where the weld nut resides.

I then stick the flame wrench towards the hole to get the weld nut cherry red.

Then use an impact to break it free. Works like a charm every time and I've done a couple lifts living in the rust belt. Even torching shock bolts helps them come out without a problem.

Use the Mapp+Oxygen tanks that you can buy at a Home Depot with the valving to tie them together. It's all that I use.

Everyone that breaks bolts has probably never used a torch on them.

If the weld on the nut is broke free how is heating it up going to solve anything?
Your going to need to cut an acces hole to get to it. Hole-saws work good for me.

If the weld on the nut is broke free how is heating it up going to solve anything?
Your going to need to cut an acces hole to get to it. Hole-saws work good for me.
correct i had to do this to both side of my jeep... i ended up re welding the nut back in...i had to cut it from the inside of the jeep.

i just gut flaps right under the nut. then put a wrench up there to break them loose, then I put the new bolts in, welded the nuts and welded the flaps closed. not to bad just time consuming.

For whomever reads this from now on, I may have the answer to stuck leaf spring bolts and bushings problem. I used PB Blaster every few days for three weeks, even to the point of taking the rear bumper off so I could shoot the top shackle nuts. The front main leaf eye bolts have a small hole in the body that you can at least spray them. Three weeks, still would not budge.

Then I tried Loctite Freeze & Release, which "ultrafreezes" the nut and bolt causing "microfractures that draw in the penetrant", according to their website. Not only did this break the nuts free, it also loosened the bushing sleeves around the bolts, so no bolt cutting for me!

I do not know if it was the PB or the Freeze & Release or the combination, but they are all off now!:guitar: It was about $17 a can and each bolt gets a 5 - 10 second blast, so it will not last long, but that was a whole lot cheaper than my time to cut a hole in the floor or frame rail and weld in nuts.

Back