• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gratuitous Lack Of Moderation - A little stroker build

Something you guys might like: Harbor Freight sells a pretty good knockoff of the Greenlee hydraulic junction box knockout punch tool. It's got a 3/4-16 internal thread on the piston and it's a pull-type cylinder. You can very easily make adapters to use it to press on harmonic balancers, transmission gears, etc etc - anything that needs to go onto the end of a shaft with a puller thread cut into it *without* abusing the bearings the shaft is already suspended by. I just used some 3/4 threaded rod, 1/2 inch threaded rod, a random scrap of DOM, and a 1/2-20 and 3/4-20 nut welded back to back to install the fifth gear on my NV4500, and it'd work just as well for pulling balancers onto cranks quickly with no effort and no cranking on an installer tool.

Thank you for the tip. That could be useful.

I spent the next hour installing ARP studs for the valve cover and oilpan.

It makes putting the gasket on a little easier and it looks nice, but it is primarily gratuitous and as it happens, a LOT of work. Russ had no problem with me doing it but refused to take part. ;)

20190315_165533-me.jpg

Look at you with your fancy tool like you're too good for two nuts and two open ended wrenches.

Russ owns a cabin in big Bear that we in theory hang out at during the winter.

And here I thought it was because the clearances were so tight that the block needed to be warmed before start-up to keep from scuffing the pistons.

Gee its 32* this morning, hope I my XJ will start....

And here I thought it was because the clearances were so tight that the block needed to be warmed before start-up to keep from scuffing the pistons.

Gee its 32* this morning, hope I my XJ will start....

Legit concern. Forged pistons. .027 quench, and the pistons rock about .022 in the bore when cold. Its pretty snug in there.

Always wondered about stroker building. Glen I stumbled across this too today.... I see why people recommend Russ. Looking forward to seeing some $$$$ totals posted.

Back