• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A small AW4-quirk...

Amund2

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes if I've ran my XJ hard for a second or two in low range (full throttle in something that really puts the 4.0 to use) the AW4 sometimes seem to stay in second or third gear, i.e. I need lots of RPM's to move it. A quick ignition off and starting it again makes everything back to normal. What is this?? :repair:

Is it some kind of built-in feature in the computer, some kind of "limp-home" mode, or is it a bad electrical connector somewhere? Afaik the AW4 only got two speed sensors to detect slippage quite a few years later than mine. This also never happens in high range, even though I'm sure it gets to work harder then.

1986 XJ with 4,11:1 and swapped-in 4.0 HO, AW4 and NP231 from a 1993 ZJ, 31" MT/R. Engine all stock except K&N-filter, no cat and just one stock muffler.

Edit: I've also tried shifting the lever to 1-2, as I've understood this overrides the computer. But it has no effect (but maybe it's just stuck in 2nd, I don't know)

what you are reporting sounds normal to me....

why aisin warner decided to tie 1 and 2 together is beyond me, but there is a mod that will let you have control of this.....

I don't have the links available, but I'm sure someone will post up soon.

I realize I probably posted this in the wrong forum (as my engine and transmission is totally stock).

Thanks for the replies guys, but I guess I explained very poorly. What I mean is that sometimes after running it hard, and not always, just very seldom, the box seem to stick in a high gear, not sure which, so that when standing still, taking off needs very high RPM's to get the car moving. I'm aware of the 1-2-problems, but the box should always start in first gear when standing still, right?

I'm just wondering if this is some kind of "mode" in the computer, indicating something wrong on the way, overhead maybe? low oil? or just a loose or corroded wire/electrical connector somewhere. It seems to be something the computer decides upon, as a quick ignition off and then restart puts it all back to normal.

Back