• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy Duty Steering

ARTSTER

NAXJA Forum User
Need to up grade my steering components i.e. drag link, tie rods and so forth. Any suggestions? I've looked at the Currie setup and liked that but havent heard of anyone using it.

Thanx Art

What are you "upgrading"?Design? Strength?How much lift do you have?

ARTSTER said:
Need to up grade my steering components i.e. drag link, tie rods and so forth. Any suggestions? I've looked at the Currie setup and liked that but havent heard of anyone using it.

Thanx Art

Art, check the search utility at the top right of the screen. Put in my username and "Currie"...you'll likely find some pics I had post a month ago or so comparing the Currie to stock. ;) I've run it for a little over a year now and I'm VERY impressed. I'm sitting at 7" and it's been great, coupled with my RE trackbar and bracket (Their top of the line one).

RCP Phx I have 6 inches of lift, 33's RE's trac bar. As strong as I can get. Would love to find someone who makes or knows how to make an over the knuckle steering system.

ECXSJAY, Thanx for the link I'll definetely check it out. Have you broken anything on the Currie Setup?

Thanx Art :)

Im in the same boat(looking for the answer).The Currie set-up is to pricey and uses (custom?) components,Id go ZJ first.Im actually interested in the Tera knuckle,Ive got time so just waiting for reveiws to come in!After that Id say 3/4-1 ton Chevy conversion.

ARTSTER said:
RCP Phx I have 6 inches of lift, 33's RE's trac bar. As strong as I can get. Would love to find someone who makes or knows how to make an over the knuckle steering system.

ECXSJAY, Thanx for the link I'll definetely check it out. Have you broken anything on the Currie Setup?

Thanx Art :)

Nothing broken on the Currie and I've rubbed it on some rocks since installation. I actually had to twist the axle when installing the RE drop brackets so I used my floor jack on the tierod (mostly just to see what I could do) and lifted with it. :D The tierod didn't even flex (that I could tell). I know it costs a lot but for a year of 'wear' on it I don't see much in physical wear. The exposed threads and whatnot have some surface rust but that could be prevented by spritzing them with some spraypaint after installation.

By ZJ route he means getting V8 ZJ components to put on instead. Yeah you'll save some $$ but in the end you have a tierod that's not much stronger than a stock XJ one, just a little bit bigger diameter...and a draglink that's identical if not the SAME as a stock XJ. Sure the tierod ends are a little bigger but they won't compare to the the Currie ones. If anything I'd skip the ZJ route and do a Dodge TRE conversion. There's plenty of info out there about it. I went Currie because of the reputation and the fact that it bolts on...no mods necessary.

Yeeeaaaahhhhh...

beef22.jpg

:D:D:D

k7ant said:
Even the ZJ setup uses the weak factory draglink. I bent mine a few times on my TJ and then went Currie. :D

Look at the difference.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/heavyDutyTieRods.htm

I haven't had any problems lately.:)

Antman

Ok i used the ZJ drag link on my xj and compared to the stock 88 its massive an i have yet to hurt it. now for the tierod setup just go after market. But at 6in I don't care for the inverted Y setup. I know some people don't care for rustys stuff and i don't buy it either but for a blot on setup that works well and holds up pretty well. and that is one XJs that are wheeled hard with 35s 36s and 37s.

Thanx for the info!!:) Sounds like you can't go wrong with the Currie set up. What's the cheapest anyones seen it for? Every where I look its $350.

Thanx Again Art:angel:

ARTSTER said:
Thanx for the info!!:) Sounds like you can't go wrong with the Currie set up. What's the cheapest anyones seen it for? Every where I look its $350.

Thanx Again Art:angel:

Art,

Before going Currie, read this.
I've ordered the over-the-knuckle set up and if it isn't enough, I can always order a dropped pitman.
They use high tolerance rod ends and highest grade 9 fasteners.

This is a long term solution, lasting 10 years or more (quote from the Q&A section)
"What makes your Bullet Proof Rod Ends™ so much better than other "heim joints" rod ends?

A: Our rod ends are the tightest, longest lasting and most durable rod ends in the in industry, nothing else even comes close. Superior design, quality materials and ultra precise manufacturing tolerances coupled with the highest quality control possible is what makes our rod ends so much better than any other tie rod end out there. The first thing you will notice is the incredibly extreme tightness and superior fit of our Bullet Proof Rod Ends© as compared to any other rod end on the planet! The second thing you will experience is the no maintenance or greasing required, yet they still move as smooth as silk years later. Our rod ends are so tight that you will "feel" the difference the first time to turn the steering wheel. This extreme fit requires a very special, expensive and labor intensive manufacturing process which results in our confidence that you are getting the absolute best product we can offer, along with our ability to offer a lifetime warranty package of these wear components, even if you abuse them. Each and every one of our Bullet Proof Rod Ends™ are individually inspected by hand and tested in a variety of quality assurance procedures. You will not find all this in any other rod end or "heim" joint on the market. "

"What is the life expectancy of your Bullet Proof Rod Ends™ ? rod ends

A: It depends on the application, conditions, cleanliness and abuse you subject them to. In our testing we have found our Bullet Proof Spherical Rod Ends™ to out perform nearly every stock OEM style ball joints in every aspect, as well as lasting up to five times longer in longevity. In our comparison testing we discovered where OEM tie rod ends lasted an average of 2-3 years, our Bullet Proof Rod Ends™ lasted over 10 years on the same group of vehicles tested"

Just trying to open all of the options out there. You may pay more, but they appear to be worth every penny.

*********, I think you just aimed me at exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like youuse this setup. If so are there any down falls? i.e. install, finding parts? What are the upsides besides lasting for a long time? Thanx for the link.

Thanx Art

ARTSTER said:
*********, I think you just aimed me at exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like youuse this setup. If so are there any down falls? i.e. install, finding parts? What are the upsides besides lasting for a long time? Thanx for the link.

Thanx Art

I've ordered it, but it's not installed yet. Looks BEEFY and very tight.
You can read the testamonials from the main page. There are several that use it and they were glad to share their impressions.

Back