• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission problems

BOSS.HOSS.XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Transmission in 96 xj seems to be stuck in 3rd. Won't down shift. I can change gears manually but it won't shift into overdrive. I've been told it could be a ground problem but have no idea where to start or which ground it could be.

TCU fuse could be. Not sure if it's in the under-dash fuse panel (in which case, see owner's manual) or the underhood PDC (see markings inside its lid), but worth a check.

For grBest thing to help chase grounds would be a wiring schematic - got an FSM or haynes manual?

I've checked all fuses. No bad ones. Put tcm in another xj, didnt have any problems out of it. Dont have a manual but will have to get one to get started with the ground connections. Thanks.

If you do some searching, you can locate the AW-4 Service and Diagnostics Manual, and download a copy.

Haynes and Chiltons are OK for oil changes and brake jobs, but pretty useless for much more than that. A genuine Jeep Dealership Service Manual is about $15 at www.pacificcoastmanuals.com.

TCU fuse could be. Not sure if it's in the under-dash fuse panel (in which case, see owner's manual) or the underhood PDC (see markings inside its lid), but worth a check.

For grBest thing to help chase grounds would be a wiring schematic - got an FSM or haynes manual?

In my XJ, it is in the engine compartment PDM, one of the micro fuses,...I think 15 AMPS.

When the #1 sift solenoid went bad, the AW4 would not start out in 1st gear and would not go into overdrive.

Back