• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRE vs HEIM ...

LOCKED UP

NAXJA Forum User
Disscuss

Really though....
Whats the average life of a TRE vs a HEIM?

For Heims ... I've seem folks mention "saftey washers" vs going double shear for mounting..... these seem suspect to me. They might hold the unit together if it comes apart but isn't that still lotsa stress on the bolt?

Is it a bad idea to have a heim on one end of something and a TRE on the other?

Any other relavant info is appreciated as well

Oh and since I wheel in mostly mud & sand, it would kill heims pretty quick right? Well how quick is quick?

Average life of a TRE? I have over 150,000 miles on the stock TREs but the are shot and need to be replaced. I would like to see a heim go that long on something other than a show truck or a trailer queen.

Personally I would do TRE's because pretty much all mass produced vehicles come with them. Auto manafactures have to be doing something right by using TREs instead of heims.

The whole thing about using heims and mounting them is very important. A heim mouned in double shear means that the heim joint has mounting material on both sides of it with a bolt passing through it all. The shear stress that passes through the heim joint then is passed onto the bolt. If the bolt is mounted in a double shear mount, then the stress goes through more than one point of the bolt. There is more than one plane for the force to go through. A single shear mount only has one plane for the force to be transfered through adn thus is weaker than a double shear mount of the same size. The double shear is stronger than a single shear BUT if you use a large enough bolt ia single shear mount shouldnt be a problem. Some good reading on the subject would be Carroll Smith's Nuts, bolts, fastners, and plumbing handbook by Carroll Smith.

AARON

SO then ... wouldn't a TRE be single shear?

I know TREs last longer in yucky sand/mud situations but what about normal driving?

MY TREs are usually a lot more expensive then heims .... and I getting ripped?

Yes the TRE is mounted in single shear but it was designed to be used in single shear. Using a bolt and HEIM in single shear can be done but because of the intended use of the bolt, it works better in double shear mounting vs single.

What TREs are you looking at? I am working on crossover steering with a Chevy 1/2 TRE and the rest Dodge 1 ton ends. The sad thing is the cost of all the 1 ton and half ton components is almost the same as the stock draglink and TREs.

AARON

Well, when I went to replace my stock stuff, I remember the tre's being fairly expensive .... my heims are like $24 a pop. Which isn't really that bad IMO.

hiems work well haven't seen one brake yet! i drive my jeep everyday. its all about how much u want to spend!

stoney

Back