• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Contemplating a second XJ purchase and need expert advice

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
I found a really sweet 2000 Classic XJ on Craig's List in near perfect condition. Although it is equipped with nice leather, an awesome DVD/MP3 sound system, and a really trippy alarm system, it is also decked out with smoked lights and signals, and some beautiful but funky low profile tires and 17" rims. Yeah, the beyotch has never seen dirt.

I've been tossing the idea of using this 2000 as a DD and continuing with the build on my beloved and inspired '99 Cherokee Sport, which will be my weekend and Friday Jeep until the kid takes it to college next year.

I am worried that swapping out the rims will be a major hassle and not worth the trouble. Has anyone done this? I'd rather wait for a '99 to come available but I've been consistently looking for about a year now and this 2000 is in showroom condition.

I'd eventually like to put on a 4.5" lift and 33's, so I need to think ahead on this.

Any advice? Anybody in the market for some phat rimz? (I'm actually too old to know what phat means.)

Craigslist is a really great resource, I've found it very easy to buy/sell just about anything on there.

I think it would be cake to find some cheap factory cherokee wheels/tires, and sell the wheels/tires that came with the jeep right after(also on craigslist).

The only question is if you can tolerate the bling bling rims for the ride home.

bling bling, theres another fun one for your vocab...

toofarfromjune said:
Craigslist is a really great resource..

...bling bling, theres another fun one for your vocab...

Yeah, thanks. I live on Craigslist. Check out the rims on this ad:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/544189806.html

I've heard my young wife say something about wanting some bling bling. Not sure what she was talking about. She also said something about wanting crack.

rocknxj said:
I am worried that swapping out the rims will be a major hassle and not worth the trouble. Has anyone done this?

last time I swaped mine out, it was 5 nuts per rim, at 2:30am in fresno, and freeken cold. But I got over it.

you're supposed to torque them to 90ft*lbs... but I didnt...

HTH

-Opie

Sounds like a nice Jeep. I got an '01 that had apparently never seen any dirt either. It's now on BDS 4.5" suspension and '06 Rubicon wheels and tires, which I got off craigslist BTW. Grab it if the price is right! If you're intersted in some 15" rims for it I have the original "Ecco" 15x7's off my '01 that I'm going to sell soon.

rocknxj said:
I am worried that swapping out the rims will be a major hassle and not worth the trouble. Has anyone done this?

You could always just pay Americas Tire $20 to do it if its too hard.

Back