• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle strength questions

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have an 89 MJ that is going to be treated to a SOA rear and 5.5" up front. I also have a 94 Chrysler 8.25 sitting in the shed. Question is should I swap out the Dana 35 rear the MJ curretly has for the 8.25, will I gain strength, will it hold up ok to 33s-34s? I am goint to swap in 44s front and rear in the future, but I have this laying here so I figured what the heck.

Well if your planning on running 34's then i think it would be a good idea to swap out the dana 35, the Chry 8.25 is a much stronger axle, especially if you plan to lock it or anything else.

It depends on if it's a 27 spline or a 29 spline. The 29 spline will be nearly as strong as a 44. A 27 spline would not be worth the swap.
But when you are going to swap in a 44 why don't you keep the 35 by then.
It will hold up fine as long as it isn't locked. I'm doing the same until I get my 8.8".

you guys bash on the 27 spline too much, im on 35x16" boggers, w/ the 27 spline 8.25

granted....i have full width 44's waiting to swap in :D

the 27 spline 8.25 is a decent axle. yes it is stronger than the 35 thanks to 3" axle tubes. you can convert it over to 29 spline with a little work. then it will be safe on 33"s.

Rawbrown said:
the 27 spline 8.25 is a decent axle. yes it is stronger than the 35 thanks to 3" axle tubes. you can convert it over to 29 spline with a little work. then it will be safe on 33"s.

Concur.

27 spline was in that axle for 25 years, yet they seem to think it was a 'Jeep only' thing. If they can hold up to my hard launches with mildly built Mopar smallblocks then I'm sure they'll be OK with 33s and crawling. If you've got a right foot locker driving style and you're worried about breakage, you shouldn't be thinking about the difference between a D44 or C8.25". You'd be swapping in a D60.

tealcherokee said:
my 30 is trashed, eats through wheel bearings like maddddddddddddddddddd

thanks for that insight.

my d44 is great and holds my 33's just fine. my bearings (all 4 of them) are in perfect condition...

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts,
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts,
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts,
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts,
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, .

I ran 35's on lockrite'd 27 spline for about a year and never broke..course I carried a spare axle with me at all times

Fwiw, my '88 MJ is still running the D-35 out back and it is on 35" rubber, 'corse there is a new axle just waiting for the D-35 to let go. Personally, I say run it until it blows, just make sure that you already have another axle ready to put in.( it tends to keep the wife from chewing on you too much.)

jeepguy97 said:
Ok I have an 89 MJ that is going to be treated to a SOA rear and 5.5" up front. I also have a 94 Chrysler 8.25 sitting in the shed. Question is should I swap out the Dana 35 rear the MJ curretly has for the 8.25, will I gain strength, will it hold up ok to 33s-34s? I am goint to swap in 44s front and rear in the future, but I have this laying here so I figured what the heck.

i would swap in the 8.25 simply bc the 35 isn't worth the time to cut and reweld new perches for the SOA.

and as all the others said yeah it should hold up to 33-34s even locked if its a 29sp or w/ a l/s if its a 27sp
plus unlike the d44 you won't have to change the carrier to swap out for lower gears..

Back