• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accidentally activated my SKIM/SKIS now what?

GreatOdin'sRaven

NAXJA Forum User
99 Cherokee Limited 4.0L

I was troubleshooting a "no bus" gauge cluster message and found a wire plug not fully seated behind my steering wheel. I plugged it in not knowing what is was to fix the issue. After that...my jeep will start for a few seconds and shut off.

After doing some research, it's pretty clear that I activated the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module or "SKIM". I do not have a chipped key.

So what do I do now? What are my options?

I want to make sure I know my options because it seems that no matter what, this is will be an expensive problem to fix.

1) Take it to the dealer to get a chipped key/programming for my current PCM

2) Order a new/refurbed PCM and install with SKIM unplugged.

if I order a new PCM will the jeep still need a chipped key?

Thanks for the help, always count on your guy's knowledge.

First determine if you have the SKIM key reader device at the ignition cylinder. If there is no key reader, then unless there is a major ECU malfunction, SKIM should not have activated. If there is a key reader device, you will need to get the ECU programmed to the SKIM system by the Dealership, or remove the key reader device and install a different non-SKIM enabled ECU. The simple solution is to get a used PCM from a similar 1999 XJ Cherokee (delete key reader if necessary) and install the ECU. Unless your local/state has smog inspections the used ECU will not need to be reprogrammed.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back