• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Power/comfort switch

Devil_Mutt

NAXJA Member #1244
On my 90 XJ Laredo, on the lower dash just to the right of the steering wheel is a switch that says POWER and COMFORT. What is this switch SUPPOSE to do? Mine does not seem to work. The LED light on the switch does not come on. Where should I start looking to fix it?

Secondly, does anyone have a link or pic showing the fuse box for this year model, specifically what fuse controls what on the box?

When set to "power" the shift points are held a little higher. Under light throttle, you won't see a difference. Give it a little heavy foot and you will (should anyway). Also, it will keep it in third longer when towing or going up a hill. The "HO" engine eliminated that circuit.

No clue on the diagnosis, sorry.

Any idea where the switched wire is accessible under the hood? I have added a junkyard switch to my 5 speed XJ. I would like to use the switch to trigger a valve to engage the front axle. Thanks!

jhawes said:
Any idea where the switched wire is accessible under the hood? I have added a junkyard switch to my 5 speed XJ. I would like to use the switch to trigger a valve to engage the front axle. Thanks!
What switch? The wire from the Power/Comfort switch don't go out under the hood. It would go to the TCU under the dash if you had the AW4 automatic.

Devil_Mutt said:
On my 90 XJ Laredo, on the lower dash just to the right of the steering wheel is a switch that says POWER and COMFORT. What is this switch SUPPOSE to do? Mine does not seem to work. The LED light on the switch does not come on. Where should I start looking to fix it?

Secondly, does anyone have a link or pic showing the fuse box for this year model, specifically what fuse controls what on the box?
Most of those switches, were not LED's. By the time LED's were used in automobiles the Power/Comfort switch was eliminated. So if it don’t light up it’s likely it’s just burned out.

just try driving down the street about 60 kmph or like 30 mph ish; anyway in comfort mode it should shift into 4th in power mode it hold up ti'll about 75-80 kph until it shifts.

When I got my 87xj, mine did'nt work either. A tech at Camp Jeep told me it was a simple system and check connections. Turned out to be a bad connection at the switch, I just pulled the wire connector off and put it back and it's been working ever since. In Power, shift points are about 500rpm higher. It's a nice feature(some Land Cruisers have it). I like to use the Power position for mountain driving because it shifts down faster.

i think the actual trany shift points in "power" are probably the default factory shift points. the "comfort" position probably adjusted them to be more yuppie-friendly.

sidriptide said:
i think the actual trany shift points in "power" are probably the default factory shift points. the "comfort" position probably adjusted them to be more yuppie-friendly.

They are and it is better for the tranny to leave in power b/c it is a more firm engagement and will not ride the tranny as long. :)

Wolfpack Offroad said:
it is better for the tranny to leave in power b/c it is a more firm engagement and will not ride the tranny as long. :)
Which is why they finally did away with the switch; all post-switch AW-4s are effectively hardwired into 'Power'

Edit: That and the fact that some bookworm number cruncher decided they could save $0.49 per vehicle by leaving the switch off.

I had the same issue with my XJ when I bought it a few months ago. It had 200k + miles on it. Fog light switch didn't work, cruise didn't work, power/comfort switch didn't work. It turned out to simply be a lack of use. I threw the switches back and forth several (around 10) times and the indicator lights started working. Replaced the rotten factory fogs with a pair of el cheapos and, woohoo, fogs. I leave the power/comfort switch in power. It was a bit of a PITA with it stuck in comfort, the trans was constantly lugging the motor (even before lift and 31's). The cruise ended up being the same thing. Playing with the set switch one afternoon on a deserted stretch of raod and, woohoo, I can feel my foot agian. :) Sometimes even a blind squirrel fimds a nut.....

Devil_Mutt said:

Alot of good but not all inclusive answers here.
When I bought my '87 XJ last year, the power/comfort switch did not work either. I took it to MJR and we found two things.

1) the fuse for the TCU was blown. It still worked and shifted hydrolically, but changing the fuse made a big difference.. that said, the power/comfort switch still didnt work.

2) at some point in the vehicles past, someone took in to a dealer to have the main engine harness replaced for what MJR felt was a high idle situation (he's a jeep mechanic at a dealer..). They replaced the main engine harness, but didnt bother to replace one of the associated plugs (that was changing from round to square connectors), and that included the power comfort switch and the brake pedel sender (so i got no torque converter lockup).

After going through all of that, I learned its really a very simple system. I'd start though by checking to see if it's just a burned out light bulb, which is pretty simple to find out. Pull that peice of dash (four screws) and you will find the bulb with the power/comfort switch. Drop a new bulb in or use a test light. ;)

-Cal

Mine switch was broken, I just replaced it with a small switch with light inside, its only 3 wires, 12V in, 12 V out(to the TCU) and grounding for the light.

kevin s said:
I call SPOBI. Don't take offense. I am just being ornery as I am bored.

Wasn't the power/comfort a Renix thing? 87-90 only?
My '91 has one -- and it works.

The switch was a TCU thing.

Back